Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Ocean Acidification

In addition to the famous impacts of atmospheric carbon on global warming, there is an equally worrisome effect of carbon dioxide on the oceans: ocean acidification (or OA for short). Here at I2SEA we have a series of resources about OA, including Our Acidifying Ocean, which is an introductory activity and virtual lab (note: now mobile compatible!).

A student suggested that we start a conversation topic about OA, and here it is! Have you heard about Ocean Acidification? If so, are you worried about it? How do you think we can best raise awareness about it among your fellow students and the general public? Have you seen particularly good links or films about OA that you would like to share? What are you doing to address the problem?

Ocean Acidification >

potential impacts of ocean acidification on human health & well being?

kaylee sy

I've been wondering about this question because all I knew about ocean acidification before is that it has to do with less pH of the ocean over time, caused by more carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere.  Here's what I found based on my research:
Ocean acidification has the potential to impact human health and well-being in a number of ways, such as reducing food security.  Ocean acidification harms marine ecosystems and reduces the abundance of seafood, leading to higher prices and reduced access to seafood, particularly for people in developing countries who rely heavily on seafood for protein.  Another thing is the increased risk of food poisoning as ocean acidification can make some harmful algal species more toxic, increasing the risk of food poisoning from eating contaminated seafood.  Ocean acidification can release toxins from marine sediments, which could pollute the air and cause respiratory problems for people living near coastal areas.  Reduced availability of medicines is another result of ocean acidification as many marine organisms produce compounds that are used in the development of medicines.  Ocean acidification could threaten the survival of these organisms, reducing medicine availability.

Learn more:https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/17/12/4563

In addition to the above impacts, ocean acidification could also have indirect impacts on human health and well-being through its effects on the economy and social systems.  For example, ocean acidification could lead to job losses in the fishing and tourism industries, which could have a negative impact on the health and well-being of people in these industries and their communities.  sad  Overall, the impacts of ocean acidification on human health and well-being are significant so it is important to take action to address ocean acidification and mitigate its impacts, in order to protect the health and well-being of people around the world.  What do you think about this?

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer