Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Think Big

Now that we see what our collective and personal impact is on the planet, let's think big!

What big and bold ideas do you have for reducing personal, community, country and even global carbon footprints?

Use this space to develop and discuss your big ideas! Who knows- maybe one of these ideas can be the next key solution to the global climate challenge!

Think Big >

Plastic Water Bottles Are A Scam

Kevind4

Plastic water bottles can have variety of different type of water but most Clear/White caps are just tap water with good marketing. You can literally get the same water from your tap. According to the University of Queensland tap water is safer and contains less harmful chemicals in it. It's also cheaper to use tap water than bottled water which is usually at least a 400% markup according to Candjwater. Save money, save the world,save yourself,and drink tap water. You are spending 20 today to save 100s in the future.

Junlelle

I totally agree, but it’s not just the fact that it’s a waste of money but it’s also worse for the environment, taking 1000 years for them to decompose. Additionally, 80% of these water bottles end up in the ocean, harming the animals living there. In all honesty, people should boycott plastic water bottles, since all in all their a disadvantage. They harm the environment, they’re a waste of money and aren’t even any safer than tap water.

osKer

I agree that buying bottled water is practically useless in countries like Canada and the U.S, because we are privileged enough always access clean drinking water from the tap. But in some places, like parts of Africa, they don't even have taps. It is very hard for them to get clean drinking water, so the easiest or only option is to buy bottled water. Even though its bad for the earth, we have to remember we are all fighting climate change in deferent well climates.

rcmq

I agree that they are a scam. Plastic water bottles started as a convenient way to easily get clean water, which eventually turned into another major way of contributing to global pollution. Destroying ocean habitats, contributing to landfills and climate change are not worth the small convenience in our day-to-day lives of purchasing these single-use plastic bottles. If everyone puts in the smallest effort to use a reusable bottle this will make a big difference and change the way plastic is affecting our Earth.

jaydo

I agree with you for sure, using plastic bottles has chemicals from the bottle and we drink that which is super unhealthy if your constantly drinking from plastic. Plastic bottles kills the earth pretty badly so just drinking tap water is a good way to do their help to save the earth. Using tap water is also cheaper than spending at least $4 at a school vending machine, we can save money and use tap or a water fountain.

5 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer