Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Phones- wants or needs?

In these past 20 or so years, pretty much every person in the world has acquired a  cellphone. But, is it a want or a need? In my opinion, i believe it can be both. On one hand, in ancient times, the people didn't have phones and they lived perfectly fine lives, getting entertainment from books, art, music, dance etc. But on the other hand, we have technology that can give us all that entertainment without having to go anywhere or do anything, plus we have instant communication. We can just click a few buttons and send a message to anyone in the whole entire world.
In conclusion, our phones connect us like never before, which can be good or bad.

Junlelle

Although, objectively, phones are most definitely a want I would argue that within our current society, they are a need. Within our society, our phones/the internet connect us and have created a whole new culture that cannot just be taken away. People use their phones every single day and give us a way of self-expression, communication, accessing information, and much more. Without phones, the world would be so different that it is unimaginable, which is why I think that phones are definitely a need.

annabenavent

Hello, I am a student at the Historiador Chabas institute in Denia, Alicante.
In my opinion, the mobile phone is a necessity that has provided us with many advanced technologies. Nowadays everyone has a mobile phone, where this object becomes multipurpose since you can listen to music, use the map, read books on it and a thousand other uses. It is true that today the last generation is already based on all this, and it can imply a lot in our future intellectual development.
There are applications that steal from us and make it easier for us to do it directly or even stores where they lose workers due to technology. In conclusion, I agree that the mobile phone and the technologies notch connect us and facilitate us in good and bad ways.

noraapeerez

Well, a lot of people think phones are a want, and in part it’s true, because if in the past anyone need it and they were able to live and evolute without them, nowadays we should be able too.
The fact that our society has learned how to live with them, makes things harder to stop using them.
Last but not least, using phones with moderation is not that bad so we need to be aware of our planet to not endanger it in excess.

penk

I think that for a lot of people a phone is a need. Society is changing to be more technology focused. For some professions and lifestyles not having a phone is detrimental. Times are changing and will continue doing so. Sometimes change is great, women's rights etc. but change can also be bad, climate change etc. But I think that phones can be used for good. Phones can share information about climate change and also reduce the need for travel. Obviously, phones have ill side effects, but what doesn't? The use of phones will be a controversial topic for a long time, but a phone is a tool, which is not inherently good or bad.

IsabelleS

i personally think that it can be both but i am leaning more towards a need. i think it is a need because for a young teenager like me, i rely on my phone for things like directions and to call others. i also find that i feel safer when i have my phone, like at late at night i feel more comfortable walking with a phone rather then not having one. therefore i see having phone as a need more than a want.

manster

in my opinion phones are wants. Sometimes they're necessary such as when you need to call someone for help  or you need to search something up but they are also made to be as addictive as possible and they have allowed people to hide behind a screen and belittle others which have definitely altered peoples lives . Back when tech wasn't as prominent, no one needed to worry about coming home to see people making fun of them, but now it's an extra thing to worry about. Phones are definitely very useful and handy but they also bring lots of distraction and chaos.

Aila123

I believe that phones are either a need or want depending on your age. For younger kids (elementary aged) phones are mostly used for games and messaging friends which is nice and good to have, but is definitely not a necessity. Whereas when you get older (high school) teachers tend to rely on phones a fair bit for online educational games like Kahoot, answering quizzes online, and a big thing is teams. Our school uses teams to communicate all our assignments and reminders. And you could use a laptop or ipad but having a phone makes it a lot easier and is more accesible. So thats why i think it really depends on your age.

Kosta

I believe phones have become more of a need rather than just a want. Phones have become essential for communication, staying in contact with others, and accessing information on the go. I think that a lot of people see phones as a need but also as a want. For example kids ranging from grade 6-12 want the newest I phone to try and fit in with the cool kids or having the newest update but in reality you can have an iPad, computer, or laptop that can do all the things a phone can do. In conclusion of what I've been saying so far phones now a days have became more of a need than a want.

Stinkytoes

Yes, I feel that phones are a need and not a want.For example, people rely on there phones a lot because they help make our lives easier, let us communicate with our peers and family and a phone does more work than a computer, camera and calculator. I feel for me, I rely on my phone for everything and without it I would be so lost. You also brought fact on how people in olden days didn't need phones and technology. Our world has changed a lot since the olden days and  there are many more crazy things that are happening in our world and without our phones I feel that we would bye unaware on what's happening and what we can do. To end this off, I feel that phone sae a want and not a need.

kaity.basham

I think phones can be both a want as well as a need. Phones can be wants especially for younger kids, just wanting to get a phone for games and, to “look cool/older” but I don’t think most younger kids need phones especially if they aren’t using it to contact with there parents and or other safety reasons in needing a phone. Although phones, can be wants for some people phones are a need. For me, my phone is a need because I have to walk to and from places sometimes, and need a phone in case of an emergency, for example if I get lost or I need to contact someone about something. Those are my reasons on why I think phones can be wants and needs in different situations.

11 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer