Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Sustainable City

Here's your chance not just to be the mayor, but the original city planner as well! Imagine a medium sized city that would be developed with modern, low carbon transportation in mind, and other strategies to reduce the average citizens' carbon footprints.

What would that city look like? Would that make you more likely to want to live there?

Sustainable City >

Sustainable City: What a city needs to be sustainable

jessicaamanatullah

Would you want to live in a sustainable city? I know I would. But, what makes a city sustainable in the first place? Well, there are many factors that can make a city considered “sustainable.” If I controlled this city, some measures I would take to make this city sustainable is:
1. MORE EFFICIENT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION reduces dependence on fuels that can harm the environment, “taking public transportation reduces CO2 emissions by 45%” (UCLA Transportation), improves air quality ( UCLA Transportation )
2. RENEWABLE ENERGY SOURCES such as wind and solar power: better air quality, reduce reliance on harmful fuels, does not produce greenhouse gas emissions. (Environmental Protection Agency
3. URBAN AGRICULTURE with the increasing population density (population per unit of land area) of urban areas, this can help: citizens meet food requirements, improve health, reduce cost of transportation (farm to consumer), better air quality… hence, reducing carbon emissions ( National Agriculture Library )
4. EFFECTIVE RECYCLING AND WASTE MANAGEMENT less need to use new raw materials from the Earth; reduced deforestation, reduced harming or displacing animals in the wild, less pollution. ( Friends of the Earth UK )

These measures would not only benefit the Earth but also the people, creating an improved, sustainable city.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer