Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Ocean Acidification

In addition to the famous impacts of atmospheric carbon on global warming, there is an equally worrisome effect of carbon dioxide on the oceans: ocean acidification (or OA for short). Here at I2SEA we have a series of resources about OA, including Our Acidifying Ocean, which is an introductory activity and virtual lab (note: now mobile compatible!).

A student suggested that we start a conversation topic about OA, and here it is! Have you heard about Ocean Acidification? If so, are you worried about it? How do you think we can best raise awareness about it among your fellow students and the general public? Have you seen particularly good links or films about OA that you would like to share? What are you doing to address the problem?

Ocean Acidification >

The issue with our oceans

penk

Ocean acidification is an increasingly worrying topic. Coral bleaching in particular is concerning, 1 in 4 ocean species rely on coral reefs for habitat. Losing a quarter of the oceans biodiversity would have drastic effects for the remainder of the species in the ocean as well as for humans. Many humans rely on the oceans for food, or they are an integral part of peoples' culture. That brings me to my second point, 1 in 7 people in the world would become extremely malnourished because their main source of protein is sea food. If humans allow ocean acidification to continue the effects will be fatal.

mmMatteo123

The ocean needs saving. Seafood is 1 in 7 peoples main source of food. If the seas and sealife gets destroyed, around 1 billion people around the world will lose there main source of food. If we keep polluting the seas we will lose thriving coral reef habitats which gives shelter for 1 in 4 ocean species. We can lower ocean polluting and acidification by lowering carbon emissions. If we lower barbon emissions that enter the sea, the reefs can be healthy and stable again. we can do this by cleanjing up beaches that are littered, we can stay away from plastic and only use it if needed. If we do those 2 things reguarly, we can keep the oceans clean for generations to come.

Cristina574

Ocean acidification is a serious issue. Coral reefs, where many ocean animals live, are at risk. If we lose these animals, it's bad for all sea life, including us. Lots of people get their food from the oceans, and for many, seafood is their main source of protein. If we don't fix ocean acidification, it's a big problem for sea life and our food. We must work together to protect our oceans.

G.bilg

I agree, I think that climate change has a big impact on our ocean and the rising sea levels. As when the amount of CO2 in our atmosphere rises, our temperature increases which makes the earth warmer and causes icebergs to melt resulting in sea levels rising. When our sea level rises more land goes into water. Some ways we can reduce CO2 is switching from gas cars to electric cars since gas cars give out CO2.

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer