Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Wants or Needs?

Is having the latest technology a want or a need?

How often do you get a new cel phone or mp3 player? Did you really need a new model? Do you consider the environmental impact of these purchases? If you are addicted, how can you break your addiction?

Wants or Needs? >

Wants or Needs: Trendy Clothes

carbonara123

In our society, there are always changing trends and micro-trends circulating. Many of these will only be popular for a few months or less. When we see something that's trendy, we often don't think about how long we will wear it or how long it will last. We may see something in store or online we like, but never wear it. It's important to know how clothes you like differ from the clothes you like on yourself and what you will wear it with. Sometimes you need to give yourself time to see if you will wear it in the long run.

IsabelleS

replying to carbonara123 i agree and i feel like a lot of people dont understand how wasteful it is to buy fast fashion that bis trending because you only wear it a couple of times and then forget about it in the back of their closets, because it is no longer in style. we waste so much trying to make cheap, bad quality items that will eventually be thrown out because people feel they cant wear stuff after it is out of style.

sr29

I completely agree with this. Sure, it's nice to buy all the trendy clothes and be in style, but not everyone takes into account how much waste it causes. When you're planning on buying clothing, it's much more beneficial to invest into something more expensive that will last in the long run instead of something cheap that will only last for a couple wears. There are many brands that intrigue you with fast-fashion, but most things are poor quality and are meant to last as long as the trends do. These companies we're buying from don't care about the waste, they only want to make money. They know that once an article of clothing becomes popular on social media, people will go crazy to get their hands on them quickly. By purchasing  from them, we're giving more money to make more cheap clothes and cause more waste.  In my opinion, trendy clothes are most definitely a want.

kaity.basham

I think trendy cloths would be a want instead of a need, because although cloths are a need, it being trendy is not. as a teen there is some pressure of keeping up with the trends, especially in cloths, and top clothing brands, but most of them are just mass-produced and after the trends have moved on to another type of clothing, that once trendy top you bought is now just a piece of clothing that you might not want to wear anymore due to another trendy top that is better. A lot of trendy cloths get dumped, and end up in the land fill, swell as create green house gas, contributing to climate change

elaria

I agree it’s a want. We are constantly being influenced to buy more. Clothes especially. The issue with trendy clothes is that they’re being produced at a mass amount, the factories that they’re made in produce a lot of pollution and the clothes that aren’t bought end up getting thrown out. We too throw out clothing when it’s not “trending” anymore. It’s so harmful to the environment because a lot of materials are used to make clothes and most of it ends up in a landfill.

OliveC

I agree with Elaria that trendy clothes are definitely affecting the planet in a negative way, but as a teenager who's easily influenced by trends and other things seen on social media, it's hard to not cave into these trend clothes as it seems to now be society's norm. I think a good alternative to these trendy pieces is getting more pieces of clothing that you will continue to rewear after these trends come and go. It is hard to not purchase these trendy pieces when it does feel good to keep up with what's popular but another way to stay trendy is to thrift or make pieces yourself.

Thomas.Forsyth

I agree with you, we are a society built on overconsumption. The waste of fast fashion is incredibly huge. The amount of clothing we purchase and throw out each year is absurd. Companies like SHEIN don’t help with this. Furthermore, thrifting is supposed to be the best way we can dispose of clothing but places like goodwill send their clothing to countries in Africa- which destroys their local economy and leads to piles of clothing on their beaches. (https://www.insideedition.com/mountains … hana-69935). We can reduce this by not buying fast fashion and instead buying in quality over quantity. Of course, this is dependent on your financial situation, but the earth, Ghana, and the employees being overworked making all the cheap clothing will thank you.

7 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer