Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Comparing Student Footprints

BrianZ

Across the globe, I see many differences. On average, most people who live on islands or in deserted regions use more carbon then someone who lives near a city. I think this is the case because when those people go on vacation or leave town it will take them longer to get to their vacation spot since there isn't anything near where they live. I calculated the average carbon used of three schools on and island, three on in a deserted region, and 3 in the city. The average carbon of the schools on the island were 9,852. The average carbon of the schools in a deserted region was 12,253, and the average carbon of the schools in the city were 8,896. 2. I think changing my diet will reduce my carbon. Food was the only section for me above average mainly because I eat around 10 eggs a week and a beef in almost all my meals. I first wanted to see how much carbon is 1 egg and when I reduced the amount of eggs I eat a week by 1, the average went down by 100. When I did the same thing with the beef, the average went down by 300. That is a lot of carbon and so if I eat less eggs and beef a week, then my carbon average for food will definitley go down significantly. I think eating 5 eggs a week and half the amount of beef a week will reduce the amount of carbon.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer