Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Make it easier to be green

LD_sciencebee

We should do more to implement safer ways to walk and bike everywhere. Ex: a school next to a busy road should have a more dominant bike/walking lane.

habaCPS

Absolutely, promoting safer and more accessible walking and biking options is a crucial aspect of fostering a greener and more sustainable society. I also totally agree that we need to generally "make it easier to be green." I feel many people are aware of climate change and its impacts but don't exactly know what they can do it about it or choose not to act on it because there aren't easy things for them to do that can help the environment. I saw this article: https://centerforfamilyinvolvementblog. … -be-green/
which really opened my eyes to many easy ways to be green for parents with young children. Many of the products that people use for young children are disposable but this highlighted a few simple alternatives that could make a massive difference if people decided to change what they bought. So through simple things like the implementation of better walking infrastructure and bike lanes and also simple substitutes of disposable items I feel we could make a large change.

NancyUSA

I totally agree! Having accessible walking and biking paths have so many benefits. They can reduce the amount of parking lots needed as people will be able to walk to places nearby safely without need for a car. This will leave more space for nature and can help reduce the amount of space needed for cities and towns. It will also help people maintain a healthy lifestyle and support small local businesses. Many towns will have sidewalks in the neighborhoods and mainstreet areas but it would be majorly beneficial to have safe biking and walking trails on main roads. I would certainly walk into town and to school instead of driving if I had a safe way to do so. It may seem like it won’t do much to occasionally walk to school but if everyone was capable of this our overall carbon footprint could be greatly reduced. I found this website, https://sacbike.org/50-reasons-why-ever … e-streets/ to be really informative of all the ways accessible walking/biking trails can benefit us. I especially think it will benefit students. If students have a safe way to walk to school it could reduce our need to have as many school buses and drop zones for those that live close enough to their school. Overall I think this would be a great idea to implement. I also agree with the idea that it is hard to be green when the opportunity evades you. I certainly think that if we give people the opportunity to walk and bike that they will take it.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer