Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Sustainable City

Here's your chance not just to be the mayor, but the original city planner as well! Imagine a medium sized city that would be developed with modern, low carbon transportation in mind, and other strategies to reduce the average citizens' carbon footprints.

What would that city look like? Would that make you more likely to want to live there?

Sustainable City >

My thoughts about Sustainable Cities

Milu

Why are sustainable cities important?
I think that sustainable cities have a great impact on enviroment.
In particular in the reduction of the emissions coming from factories and vehicles, and mostly about the emission caused by energy prodution from fossil fuels.

What do we mean with sustainable cities?
A sustainable city is a kind of city that focuses on reducing waste and emissions by using renewable energy and electric vehicles.

In conclusion i think that the future needs sustainable cities not only for our wellbeing but also for the future generations.

ElBrBOD

I would agree. Sustainable cities, along with the points you already mentioned, would raise awareness about climate change. Something I find particularly concerning is the variation in the CO2 levels. Just at my own school, CO2 concertation ranges between 450ppm and 850ppm, a different of almost 2 fold. When designing a city, I think it is important to ensure that a different area of the city doesn't suffer from one area "green" (eg. having factories all in one place, pollutes one area, but keep the rest clean)

stjubod

I completely agree! Cities are one of the main contributors to carbon emissions (70%), and making them more sustainable would reduce CO2 substantively. In terms of transportation, I think that we could go even further than electric vehicles and have the main form of transportation be walking/biking. Since cities are pretty compact and everything is relatively close together, the majority of places could be accessed without even having to use a vehicle. Current cities can be pretty dangerous for bikers or pedestrians, so to encourage it in a sustainable city there could be certain streets or areas that don’t allow cars. I went to Portugal last Spring and there were barely any cars, many of the streets were just for walking, and you had to park your car outside of them and walk in. Not only would this be better for the environment, but getting more cardio would also improve people’s physical and mental health. (I do realize that walking would be an issue for people with disabilities, that would be a separate problem to figure out).
https://www.nrdc.org/issues/sustainable-cities#overview

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer