Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Science and the Environment

ansoBOD

Over the past three days, I have learned that my carbon footprint of around 6,904 is below the average footprint in my state, but higher than the world average. This made me realize that it is easier for people in some parts of the world to use up more carbon, especially because of easier access to cars and other transportation rather than walking. I also realized that an airplane flight is equivalent to numerous car rides, which is why flying sparingly is beneficial to the environment. I learned that the heat that is reradiated from the earth can not pass through the greenhouse gas carbon, causing it to be trapped. This is slowly warming up the planet, leading to climate change. As a result, the greater a person’s carbon footprint, the more they contribute to climate change, which is why it is crucial that we reduce our footprints. Additionally, I learned that in the far future there will be billions of people suffering from climate change if we don't do anything about it. I learned from Colombia Climate School's article that a way to prevent this is by decarbonizing the energy supply, pulling carbon from the atmosphere, and also promoting more sustainable ways of living. Some smaller actions can include walking more often, thrifting, leaving lights on less, and using reusable containers/bags.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer