Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Science in the Enviornment

anboBOD

Over the past couple of days I have learned about my own carbon footprint, what contributes to it, what more greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere actually means for the enviornment, how to reduce carbon my own carbon foot print and how green house gases trap heat along with what a green house actually is. Using the carbon footprint calculator I was able to find out that most of my carbon footprint came from transportation, Which was mildy surprising because the majority of my transportation footprint came from flights which I did not know contributed so much. Compared to other Californians my carbon footprint not counting transportation was extremely low, As I do not seem to eat at quite the quantities that most Americans do along with the fact that I do not buy much and whenever I do it is usually thrifted and used for a genuinely long time. According to the More Stuff=More Climate Change article, most of large and "first world" countries' carbon emissions come from transportation and purchases which explains why the transportation section of a Californian's carbon footprint on average contributed so much. I also learned how greenhouse gas compounds in our atmosphere use their polarity, which means that most of the positive-based atoms are on one side, and negative on the other to bounce back UV rays of heat back down to earth a couple times before it escapes into the atmosphere. This brings to mind the problem of having too many greenhouse gasses in our atmosphere, because the more green house gases that there are, the more likely that the UV rays will continue to bounce in between the Earth and Green House Gases in the atmposphere, more than a couple times. All of these things are connected as carbon footprints no matter how big or small contribute greatly to the amount of carbon in our atmosphere which bounce back more uv rays and thus raise temperature in our atmosphere, so in order to prevent the further rise in global warming we first have to lower our carbon emmsions by: Buying less things, using greener transportation, trying to invest in longer lasting and more sustainably crafted clothing and trying to eat foods grown locally while they are in season.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer