Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

ISCFC Homework (Science & The Environment)

matteotarantino

Over the past few days, I have learned a lot about how what my daily life consists of  affects my carbon footprint and the world around me. When I took the carbon footprint calculator questionnaire, I realized that my carbon footprint is extraordinarily high compared to the average person globally. Transportation and food contributes substantially to my carbon footprint compared to the other categories. From traveling by air almost 3-4 times per year in the past few years of my life, and taking a 20+ minute car ride to school almost 6 days a week, transportation plays a large role in the the fact that my carbon footprint is definitively above average. Some ways that I learned in class to fix this is to take public transportation to school, whether it be a bus or a BART train Next, food. The food I mostly eat everyday consists of red meat, poultry, eggs, and fruits and vegetables. While fruits and vegetables have a considerably low carbon footprint, red meat, poultry, and eggs have the highest carbon footprint among most foods. I also consume more food than the average American daily,(3500 kcal) so my carbon footprint is considerably higher. Red meat is terribly bad for the environment because the livestock industry destroys forests to create open space for cows, as well as cows' high emission of methane, which is a greenhouse gas. What I found interesting in my total footprint chart is that my "Purchases" category is incredibly lower than the average Californian. I contribute 119kgs per year, while the average Californian contributes 1,191kgs, ten times more than my total. Most of my clothes are hand-me-downs, and most of clothing is thrifted In class, I learned that thrifitng is a great way to be environmetally friendly. The clothing that I do buy is for school, which is not too much. When I watched a portion of the Netflix documentary Brandy Hellville and the Cult of Fast Fashion, I learned that the clothing industry is actually responsible for 10% of all greenhouse gas emissions. Finally, in my home category, it was slightly above the average Californian, (which still is not good), but it is very fixable in order to lower that total. In the end, as greenhouse gases trap heat on the Earth's atmosphere, global warming ensues, leading to climate change. (The Earth's temperature getting hotter) My carbon footprint is detrimental to the efforts to prevent climate. One simple step that I can take, and that we can all take is to conserve water, eat less meat, (especially red meat) recycle, thrift clothing, turn off your lights, etc. After seeing my total footprint, I am motivated to take action and take this test again in the future to see how much progress I have made.

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer