Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Sustainable City

Here's your chance not just to be the mayor, but the original city planner as well! Imagine a medium sized city that would be developed with modern, low carbon transportation in mind, and other strategies to reduce the average citizens' carbon footprints.

What would that city look like? Would that make you more likely to want to live there?

Sustainable City >

Airplanes and Carbon

pewoBOD

I was shocked that my transportation (mainly air travel )took up more than HALF of my carbon footprint. I feel like the normalization of air travel undermines how harmful airplanes are to our atmosphere. According to the Environmental and Energy Study Institute, 70% of airplane exhaust is CO2, and after being emitted, 30% of that gas is naturally removed from the atmosphere over 30 years, 50% disappears within a few centuries, and 20% stays in the atmosphere for thousands of years. As air travel increases, I can't imagine how much unnecessary carbon would end up just because of planes. I think that we should stop normalizing unnecessary air travel and educate others about its detrimental impact on our atmosphere. Additionally, I think we should also stop normalizing the frequent use of private jets, and how we should stop turning a blind eye to celebrities like Taylor Swift's carbon footprint. The idea of using private jets to travel from place to place is unbelievable because how can you not start thinking about how much carbon you, a single person, contribute to damaging our atmosphere?

1 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer