In addition to the famous impacts of atmospheric carbon on global warming, there is an equally worrisome effect of carbon dioxide on the oceans: ocean acidification (or OA for short). Here at I2SEA we have a series of resources about OA, including Our Acidifying Ocean, which is an introductory activity and virtual lab (note: now mobile compatible!).
A student suggested that we start a conversation topic about OA, and here it is! Have you heard about Ocean Acidification? If so, are you worried about it? How do you think we can best raise awareness about it among your fellow students and the general public? Have you seen particularly good links or films about OA that you would like to share? What are you doing to address the problem?
Ocean Acidification >
The Virtually Irreversible Nature of Ocean Acidification
Prior to learning about ocean acidification today, I viewed the concept daunting to comprehend. However, I soon found that the concept is fairly clear: as atmospheric CO2 increases, they also increase in the water. This leads to a decrease in carbonate levels, making it difficult for calcifiers to form strong shells/skeletons. I feel as though many people are unaware about ocean acidification and its effects because most people do not interact with the ocean in their everyday lives. I think it is imperative to spread awareness about ocean acidification because many people rely on new technologies to rehabilitate the earth by removing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. However, according to this article https://insideclimatenews.org/news/0508 … l-warming, even if carbon dioxide could be removed from the atmosphere, ocean acidification already spurred by CO2 will persist for centuries. This could cause mass extinctions of marine species. The virtually irreversible nature of ocean acidification proves that it is imper ative for all humans to find out what his/her carbon footprint is then adjust their lifestyle so that they are as environmentally sustainable as possible.
Bernice I totally agree with you that spreading awareness about the damaging effect of ocean acidification is imperative in saving certain species. I think being on land so much can cause us to forget what is going on in the ocean. We don't realize what is going on in the vastness blue of the ocean. People need to be educated about this not well known issue. Thank you for your information because I just learned from reading your text about how C02 sequestration will not change ocean acidification. I agree that this is a major sign for others to change their lifestyle to not further this issue more. Science can't solve all our problems, we have to by changing our lifestyle to better suit a healthier Earth.
Recently I read in an article that coral reefs are undergoing stress primarily caused my not only ocean acidification, but warmer waters. This adds a whole other reason to be aware of your own footprint: Global Warming. Carbon Dioxide is the main producer of these two central conflicts. It all comes down to science and technology. How far do you drive to school/work every day? Do you recycle when you get the chance? How long are your showers? A project I am working on right now includes a reflection on how the smallest change in your daily routine can change your carbon footprint along with relieving part of climate change.





