Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

ISCFC Schools in the News!

Many ISCFC classes have been featured in their local newspapers and on local TV shows. Please post any stories that describe your participation in the ISCFC or any other environmental projects.

You can post stories in the original language used, and we can use Google Translate to see the article in another language. You can use links to post YouTube videos of your project.

ISCFC Schools in the News! >

Technology is both a want and a need

rabarag16

I think that having the latest technology can be a want or need depending on the person. For some, having the latest technology is necessary for keeping up with modern times. For example, it's pretty important for people to have cell phones now that pay phones aren't around anymore. Plus, advancements in cell phone technology allow us to use our phones for so many more things besides calling or texting, like for watching TV or using it as your own personal trainer.
However, having the latest technology can be a want as well. Consumers always want to own the "next big thing" as soon as it comes out, which can be a major reason why companies advertise and promote their products so much. It's like one big competition to see who can come up with a newer, more efficient product than those that have been previously released.
I don't buy new technology or gadgets unless what I have is unusable. The last time I got a new phone (iPhone 4 to 5c) was because I had dropped it so many times it wouldn't charge anymore. I don't think I needed to buy a new cell phone model, but since m y data plan offered it I took it. I wouldn't say that I'm addicted to purchasing the "latest and greatest" models of things because I don't see the importance of buying something new unless what I have is broken.
Lastly, I do consider the impact of all these purchases and it really makes me sad whenever I think about how most of the outdated things end up (in the garbage). Once it's out of trend, no one buys it anymore so it's thrown out. According to the EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency), only 18% of 2.25 million tons of TVs, cell phones, and computer products that could be recycled were recycled; leaving the other 82% in landfills.  On a more positive note, it is nice to see big companies, like AT&T and Verizon, have programs for recycling unwanted phones/other products.

rabarag16

I accidentally put this in the wrong discussion...I apologize. This same post is in the Wants or Needs discussion.

2 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer