Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

How to reduce one's carbon footprint- Post 1

J0HN135

There are many ways one can reduce their carbon footprint. One being what we eat and how we go about eating. Livestock and dairy are responsible for 14.5% of the manmade global greenhouse gas emissions. Plants help reduce the carbon levels, so why not plant more plants on the space that is being occupied by cattle. So now instead of causing more CO2 emissions we are helping lower it. What would we eat? Vegetables we grow. Instead of growing crops to make into feed for animals, we grow crops to eat them ourselves. Also you can reduce your food waste by planning meals ahead of time and eating leftovers. Planning meals ahead of time could be the difference in having to drive to the store everyday to get something to make for supper and  only having to drive to the store once every 2 weeks to get things to eat for the next few weeks.

Source: https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2018/12/2 … footprint/

Nariki

I agree with you. For example, my parents go shopping every 2 days or even every day because we are too used to always eating. So to limit the carbon footprint, I think that we should in addition to shopping 1 times every 2 weeks, try to take local products or products that have not traveled much and if possible grow fruits and vegetables at home.

Victoriayakovchuk

Driving to the store for food, both affect climate change and the environment. I also agree and believe we should limit the amount of times we drive out but also count how many miles we are driving. Many of my neighbors including my family grow their own food. We also have a small market/ farm selling organic food. These ideas are beneficial to our environment. Plants can reduce carbon dioxide levels which can benefit climate change by a little. It can also reduce shopping trips so you don't need to drive as much.

lanuleina

There are many ways to reduce one’s carbon footprint. You can cut down on unnecessary trips by car by planning out your week, including hanging with friends, or going to the store. Another way is by taking a long walk or a quick bike ride down to the library or restaurant instead of driving. Bagging tends to go over your head when at the store but by bringing your own reusable bags or buying items with eco-friendly packaging you can reduce your footprint.

sureena

All of these are great ideas! There’s other things you can do like hanging your clothes to dry instead of owning and using a dryer (which is what my family has done since forever). It’s more work but it’s way more environmentally friendly. Also, reusing and recycling are always incredibly impactful! One thing people could potentially be more conscious of is trying to use mainly recyclable materials so they don’t contribute to waste build up which can lead to pollution, etcetera. Unplugging devices you’re not using, taking less hot showers, buying second hand clothes (consignment shops have really good quality clothes which disputes the main worry with that route), and buying or growing food locally are also other ideas.

5 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer