Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Student Footprints

Students from around the world calculated their class mean and standard deviations for their footprints and posted them on our world map.

Do you see differences across the globe? If so, why do you think those differences exist?

Did you use the calculator to try to reduce your footprint down to the average from a citizen of another country? What changes would you have to make to lower your footprint in this way? Are you going to try and take some of these actions in your daily life?

Student Footprints >

Other alternatives to flying

Noracarlon

I fly on usually 10 times a year between vacations and visiting family and my Significant other. I never really stopped to think about the damage I was potentially doing to the environment. Is there another way to visit and stay close to the ones you live without flying and burning so much jet fuel? I would driving wouldn’t be much better because of all the gasoline it would take to travel across the country 10 times? What other options do we have in making family a priority and keeping mind distance relationships.

Aerot

Traveling by train might be the better option (if the travel is less than 5h). For same distance a train journey emits on average nearly 40 times less CO2 than a plane journey. Buses are another option too as they also cut down by half the emissions a plane does. Otherwise i fear you might still need to take planes, but if it's for your family...

Victoriayakovchuk

Riding on a train sounds like a better decisions. I went on a plane that took 3 stops, when traveling to and back, this made a massive change on my footprint results. I don't go to far places often, everything around us is like 5 minutes away from my house. So traveling on a airplane was a big deal. The burning fuel on the plane releases a lot of carbon dioxide/ energy. I found an interesting fact that an average commercial aircraft would fly 3000 hrs per year. (If you look it up, a lot of websites agree on 3000 hrs). Imagine all the carbon dioxide entering in Earth's atmosphere.

Ahmed Mohammed

I think train would be better for short trips, but what if youneed to visit a country that is across the ocean? For example, a trip from Canada to France. How could we not pollute, but visit another country at the same time?

4 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer