Enter your username and password below

Not registered yet?   Forgotten your password?

Open Forum

Want to dicuss an ISCFC-related topic that you don't see listed yet? Here is your page for that!

The ISCFC team will then choose some of these student-envisioned discussions to feature on their own discussion page.

Open Forum >

Greenwashing

Sandy.21

Greenwashing is a false claim that deceives consumers into believing that a company's products are environmentally friendly. I have started to recognize this more in society. Numerous fast fashion companies such as H&M, Zara, Forever 21, and others give people the illusion that they are shopping sustainably. However, this is simply a marketing tactic created so that people would not feel guilty purchasing items from these companies. They say that they are ethical when it comes to the production of low-cost fashion items. However,  that is far from the truth. Fast fashion brands seem to only care about profit. They exploit cheap laborers in developing countries, use large amounts of water and oil and dump extra toxic waste in local rivers ad streams, disturbing thousands of people's water sources. The concept of greenwashing also occurs quite a lot in the food industry. Many processed, packaged foods are labeled "healthy and ethically produced."  These are also exemplification unsustainable claims.

Tdenney - SJRState

As an employee of a Grocery Store, I can confirm greenwashing in the food industry. Many labels such as Fair trade and certified naturally grown often mislead consumers. Fair trade is supposed to show a product that was produced without child labor but often you see product from India and China with those labels (Which are notorious for using child labor). As well, Naturally Grown only requires 75% of a grocery product to be organic which can also be misleading.

Takoyama

I was looking for something on greenwashing cause I think it's a really overlooked issue that should be taken more seriously, unfortunately it doesn't look like this post from almost 3 years ago got very much attention.  Somehow we need to hold these corporations accountable for blatantly lying about something with such serious repercussions.

3 posts
You must be logged in in order to post.

Board footer