Frequently Asked Questions


The following FAQs are designed to answer your questions about your computer-integrated English course. If you have additional questions, please email the CIC Director.



1. What is "CIC"?

CIC stands for "computer-integrated courses." CIC is an English-department program committed to the idea that technology--especially computers--can facilitate the teaching of humanities courses. Our classes are held in specially adapted classrooms, designed by experienced instructors, and incorporate a range of technologies, from networked computers and projection screens to discussion, peer review, and Web authoring software. [Return to questions]

2. What courses are offered in CIC?

The Expository Writing Program and Interdisciplinary Writing Program offer computer-integrated versions of their 100-level writing courses: English 104/5, English 111, English 121, English 131, and English 197, 198, and 199. Descriptions of 104/5, 111, 121, and 131 can be found on the Expository Writing Program Web site; information about 197, 198, and 199 is available on the Interdisciplinary Writing Program site. Each quarter, approximately twelve expository and five interdisciplinary writing courses are offered in CIC. In addition, CIC houses advanced-level expository writing courses (281, 381 and 481), courses on writing for the Web (282 and 382), senior seminars on various topics, and graduate-level courses. The following links represent a sample of recent CIC courses:

[Return to questions]

3. How are CIC courses different from traditional courses?

A CIC course covers the same material as conventional courses, but it combines the best of traditional instruction with the benefits of technology-based instruction. Students spend time debating, writing, and working through material both in the face-to-face environment of a conventional classroom and through independent and collaborative work in a networked computer classroom. Students in CIC courses also have the opportunity to complete traditional essays and less-conventional types of assignments, including Web pages, PowerPoint presentations, blogs, e-portfolios, and verbally-annotated film clips. [Return to questions]

4. What sort of computer experience does CIC require? If I don't have basic computer skills, where can I go for training?

Students need very little computer experience to succeed in CIC courses. If you have used a computer to write essays or surf the Web, you will have no problem using the computers and programs available in the CIC lab classroom. CIC instructors are prepared to teach students with diverse levels of computer experience. Students with a great deal of experience enjoy the opportunity to use technology as a part of the day-to-day activities of the classroom. Inexperienced students will find that our technology is easy to learn and that the program provides a well-trained and accessible support staff to help them become comfortable in a computerized environment. They may also supplement training received in their CIC class with free workshops offered by Catalyst or low-cost courses taught by Computing & Communications staff. [Return to questions]

5. What kinds of technology and software are used in the classroom?

Each CIC lab classroom has twenty-five computers, a data projector, a VCR, and a DVD player. Our computers have CD-ROM drives as well as USB ports. Each of our labs has one wheelchair-accessbile work station. Our computers run Windows and come installed with the 2007 versions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Students can use one of several browsers to access the Web or retrieve assignments they have emailed to themselves. CIC computers have all programs available in the UW Internet Connectivity Kit, including Pine email, SSH Secure File Transfer, and the Adobe Acrobat Reader. They also have software designed specifically for Web authoring and graphics creation. [Return to questions]

6. What materials will I need to bring to my CIC class?

Students in CIC courses use The CIC Student Guide, either in print or electronic form. They should also have several reliable methods for transferring files between home and lab computers (for example, memory stick, email attachment, electronic file transfer). [Return to questions]

7. How do I sign up for a CIC course?

Students register for CIC courses through MyUW, as they would for any other English class. Look for the "computer-integrated" designation underneath the course listing on the time schedule. [Return to questions]

to home page
top of page