This page lists a number of scenarios as to how all of these lessons might be laid out in a real class situation. We will include estimated time needed for each lesson. Our web site is meant to complement existing curricula and resource materials.
Beginning of Year:
- Drawing Lab - Drawing is an essential part of biology and a skill that will be useful throughout the year. Start the period with a short drawing exercise, once a week, to develop and maintain this skill. One period.
- Brooders Vs. Spawners - Different life forms use different reproductive strategies. Include this lesson with your relevant lessons on ecology. One to two periods.
Cell and Development Unit:
- Microscope - This lesson will reinforce introductory
lessons you have done with the microscope. One period.
- Size Under The Microscope - This lesson provides
a structured approach to measurement of microorganisms. One period.
- Mixing The Gene Pool - Why is sexual reproduction
an advantage? This lesson complements lessons on genetics. One to two
- Dilution Labs - These are intended to teach
the essential skills of making and using linear and serial dilutions
for mixing reagents and diluting sperm for experiments. Three periods.
- Students will need some understanding of mitosis and meiosis before
proceeding to the Primary Labs.
- Primary Labs: all use sea urchin gametes
- These lessons are often followed by additional lessons on development
and reproduction. A survey of contrasting adaptations from asexual reproduction
to human reproduction is recommended.
- For students wishing to do work on their own time or a longer term project, look at the Extended Research ideas.
Scenario II – sample high school syllabus
This sample syllabus is provided by our mentor teacher, Pam Miller, who teaches at Seaside High School. A typical class consists of 30 students from very divergent backgrounds: culturally, ethnically and ability wise.
Note that the unit plan does not use every lesson plan we designed. The support lessons may or may not be needed by your students. Selection of lessons will depend on prior knowledge and skills.
Pam Miller's Outline for Developmental Biology Unit of Biology II
- Science & the Scientists - an historical perspective/ the development of scientific thought.
- The Dynamic Cell - chemistry, structure, function, & cell cycles
- Genetics - traditional Mendelian genetics, molecular genetics, human genetics
Developmental Biology / Sea Urchin Labs:
- Background Reading - "Reproduction & Development", Nature of Life
- Film: Developmental Biology
- Video Segment - "Reproduction in the Rocky Shore", from Monterey Bay Aquarium video
- Student Brainstorming Questions - "What do you want to know about developmental biology?"
- Introduction to the Stages of Development:
Brief lecture/illustrations on overhead projector
Prepared slides of urchin, frog, & chicken development
----pluteus of urchin
----in frog & chicken - neurula
- Laserdisk Views of Urchin, Frog Development
Stills & videos
- Laboratory Activities
Fertilization of sea urchin eggs
Review lab procedures & assign responsibilities
Inject urchins, harvest egg & sperm
View eggs & sperm as a class using video microscope
Individual viewing of eggs, sperm & fertilization
Collect fertilized eggs, aerate & view throughout next week, recording & drawing stages to document
- Experiments - variables in development
- Film: The Search for the Organizer, experiments of Spemann, Gurdon
- Medaka Egg Development
The seasons, length of day, and reproduction cycles
Stage of development
Variable in development
In Vitro Fertilization of Frog Eggs:
- Review lab procedures & assign responsibilities
- Inject frogs, dissect male frogs, prepare sperm suspension
- Harvest eggs
- View eggs & sperm as a class using video microscope
- Individual viewing of eggs, sperm and fertilization
- Collect fert. eggs, aerate & view throughout next week, recording & drawing stages to document.
- Variables & experimentation
- David Epel's Articles - present as partners
- Classic Article Gurdon - "Transplanted Nuclei and Cell Differentiation"
Video - reading & analysis questions
- Human Development
- Male/female hormones & development - biofeedback
- Film: Hormones
- Oogenesis & spermatogenesis
- Slide program - Human Conception & Early Embryology
- 3 germ layers & development
- Stages of human development and birth
- Film: Miracle of Life
- The placenta & its function
- Fetal Circulation & Changes in the Heart at Birth
- Lab - dog/cat uterus & fetal development, visiting veterinarian
- Analysis of Fetal Health
- In Vitro Fertilization & Ethical Issues
- Article - "Sons & Daughters", jigsaw presentations & discussion
- Control of Development - recent research, jigsaw articles, Internet abstracts
- Aging & Death
- Asexual Development
- Sexual Development Flower Lab
- Algae Lab
Monterey Bay Aquarium Field Trip