Student Legal Services


Student Legal Services wants to help you find the answers and solutions to your legal issues, as well as educate you on topics that may be useful to you. Here are some resources that may be able to help you!


Useful Referrals

Agency Contact Comments
Washington Law Help Legal forms and information written for self-help
King County Law Library

(206) 477-1305

Law librarians may help find legal information but cannot give legal advice
211 Dial: 2-1-1

Local: (206) 461-3200

Toll-Free: 1-800-621-4636

Provides referrals to any and every social service and legal aid provider statewide
King County Bar Association (KCBA) Neighborhood Legal Clinics (206) 267-7100 Provides free 30-minute consultations across King County on civil legal issues. Appointments are scheduled no more than 7 days in advance; scheduling line wait times between 5-10 minutes
Lawyer Referral Service (LRS) (206) 267-7010

Request online at:

Referrals for paid legal services by 350 attorneys in 36 practice areas. $45 non-refundable referral fee for up to three 30-minute consultations with referred lawyers; additional $10 processing fee for Personal Injury, Criminal Defense, and Workers Compensation
Washington State Bar Association (WSBA) Means Program

Toll Free: 1-855-741-6930

Reduced fee legal services for clients of middle-income (200-400% FPL) on consumer, family, and housing law issues
KCBA Young Lawyer’s Division Walk-In Clinic 6th Floor of King County Courthouse, in the Public Law Library of King County 30-minute free walk-in consultation limited to advice on civil matters
Dispute Resolution Center (206) 443-9603

Toll-Free: 1-888-803-4696

Resolve disagreements through voluntary, confidential and non-adversarial alternative to the legal system
UW Law Mediation Clinic (206) 543-1110 Serve as neutral third parties to help individuals in a dispute negotiate a voluntary settlement of their case or conflict
Northwest Justice Project (206) 464-1519

Toll-Free: 1-888-201-1014

Free legal help and assistance over the phone for low-income WA state residents


Agency Contact Comments
Solid Ground (206) 694-6767

Self-help information, support, and counseling services on issues of homelessness and poverty
Housing Justice Project King County Courthouse Room W314 KCBA walk-in clinic for legal information and assistance. Priority service for renters facing eviction
Tenants Union (206) 723-0500

Free phone and walk-in tenant counseling services about landlord/tenant laws and strategies to prevent housing loss
Department of Planning & Development (DPD) (206) 615-0808

Can file complaint online

Investigates and enforces Housing and Building Maintenance Code violation complaints

Family Law


Agency Contact Comments
Family Law Facilitators Office (206) 296-9092 Provides information and referrals to family law litigants who are not represented by attorneys
Domestic Violence Protection Order Advocacy Program (206) 477-1103

Provides free assistance to protection order petitioners
Self Help Plus (206) 267-7080

Help low-income people represent themselves in uncontested family law actions
Kinship Care Solutions Project (206) 267-7086

Provides free legal representation for relatives and other caregivers seeking non-parental custody
Family Law Mentor Program (206)267-7085

Assists low-income parents with contested family law cases. Provides direct representation when children are at risk of domestic violence, child abuse/neglect, or alcohol/drug abuse
Seattle Community Law Center (206)686-7252

Provides legal advice and representation to low-income individuals with disabilities in matters related to their social security benefits

Criminal Law