When the opposing party is a UW entity or UW student
We are not able to provide legal advice when the opposing party is a UW entity or a UW student. What we can provide is a free 40-minute resource-based consultation. What that means is that we can discuss the general procedures of the kind of issue you have and we can help you research other resources that may be available to assist you with your case. For more information, please view the Student vs. Student page.
Students cannot hire SLS for these types of legal matters
Although SLS provides free legal consultations for any legal questions, the following are areas in which SLS will not provide ongoing representation:
- Business formation
- Criminal cases for felony charges
- Contested family matters
- Evaluation of work of other attorneys
- Fee-generating personal injury cases
- Immigration matters, in which the student will require assistance post-graduation. In that case, we can provide consultations but not ongoing representation.
- Tax matters
- Out-of-state cases. However, SLS can be hired to facilitate communication with out-of-state legal counsel.
- Legal issues of a student’s friends or family members
- Matters involving the University of Washington, including, but not limited to, Housing and Food Services, academic departments, and faculty or staff.
Regardless of the nature of your legal matter, we encourage you to contact us for a consultation. For questions about case eligibility not addressed on our website, please phone our office at 206.543.6486.