Student Legal Services


With the continued spread of COVID-19 in the region, UW Student Legal Services wants to help you find the answers and solutions to your legal issues, as well as educate you on topics that may be useful to you.

All information here is listed as a resource and not actual legal advice. If you are an eligible student and would like legal advice about your situation, please fill out an intake form from our website to schedule a consultation. Please note that UW Student Legal Services operates on a hybrid model.

General Resources

Washington State Coronavirus Response (COVID-19)

Learn more about the latest information and news concerning Washington State from the government website.

COVID-19 Student Relief Fund

At Scholly, they are known for big scholarship and student loan payoffs. But in these unprecedented times, they believe it’s their duty to help as many students and their families as possible. By providing $200 in cash assistance, they aim to provide essential financial help to buy groceries, health supplies, and other necessities to those in need. If you’re a student, parent of a student, or graduate, they encourage you to apply today. Complete your application today. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and are subject to approval and available funds.

Kennewick Community Resources

Kennewick Community Resources wants to share information about social services, food assistance, childcare, free internet services, Mid- Columbia Libraries online services, transportation and other resources available to help families during the school closure. Click here to view and download their list of resources.

One America COVID-19

One America has compiled a list of resources in Washington State (some in multiple languages) to ensure everyone in our communities are able to receive the care and necessities they need.

United Way COVID-19 Response Fund

United Way has a COVID-19 Community Economic Relief Fund to help out those who need it. They will help with bills, rent, and food. You can call 1-866-211-9966 and provide zip code and will be given a list of local agencies to provide assistance.

Free Meals for Children Under 18

Othello School District has a free meal program for children 18 years of age or younger. Children must be present to receive the meal, which is both breakfast and lunch, and is grab-and-go.

Renton School District is also offering a free meal program for children 18 and younger. Meals must be pre-ordered by 8 PM the night before and can be picked up at the front lot any Renton School from 11 a.m. – 12 M. Meals will include both breakfast and lunch and children must be present to pick up the meals.

Seattle Public Schools has 26 schools that are serving as a hub for student meal support during the closure. These schools provide sack lunches prepared by our central kitchen for all Seattle Public Schools students Monday through Friday, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., for the duration of the school closure. Children do not need to be present for pickup. 


For International Students

International Student Services Website

International Student Services is deeply concerned about the current coronavirus outbreak and sincerely hope that you, your families, and your friends have not been directly impacted. The health, safety, and well-being of our international students, staff & faculty, and broader UW community are our priority. UW leadership and ISS staff are monitoring the rapidly changing information. The best way to receive updated information is to check this website as they will post updates here as soon as more information is available.

NAFSA: Association of International Educators

NAFSA has assembled these resource links to help you navigate issues arising from the 2019 Novel Coronavirus.

United Way COVID-19 Response Fund

United Way has a COVID-19 Community Economic Relief Fund to help out those who need it. They will help with bills, rent, and food. You can call 1-866-211-9966 and provide zip code and will be given a list of local agencies to provide assistance.

For Undocumented Communities

Immigrants Rising

Immigrants Rising is committed to serving undocumented communities during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. They put together this list of resources to help undocumented immigrants navigate the crisis. Please contact them if there are additional resources that you would like to add to this document. They will continue to update it as the situation develops.

Washington Healthcare Access Alliance

Healthcare access – safe healthcare centers in Washington. Free and charitable clinics. No matter if you have legal documents, you have the right to receive  medical attention. At this time, seeking medical attention will not affect your current immigration situation. 

Alien Emergency Medical (AEM)

Washington State Health Care Authority (HCA) is now allowing undocumented adults to apply for Alien Emergency Medical (AEM) if they need COVID-19 testing. HCA will come out with more changes/information/direction soon. However, in the meantime, individuals can apply online at or by completing the Application for Long-Term Care/Aged, Blind, Disabled Coverage (HCA 18-005). This application can be downloaded from the Health Care Authority website.

COVID-19 Relief Fund for Undocumented People

COVID-19 Relief Fund for Undocumented People. Founded by a South Seattle College student organizer, this is a fund to help ensure undocumented families can continue to pay back their rent once the current residential evictions moratorium has been lifted.

El Centro de la Raza

El Centro de la Raza has an Emergency Response Fund to continue to assist undocumented communities during this time. Their historic building in Seattle and their Federal Way office building will be closed to the public March 17th – May 4th, but staff are working remotely to continue to provide many of their 43 programs and services, checking in with program participants about their needs, and to enroll people in emergency benefits.

  • Their food bank in Seattle will remain open Wednesdays 3:30-6:30 (Wednesdays are for seniors and people with mobility limitations only) | Thursdays 10-12 & 2-4 | Fridays 2-4 with window pick-up service from the north ground floor entrance only.
  • Our child development centers have limited capacity and hours during these dates – current families should refer to their parent letter for information or contact Hilda or Jessica.
  • The Senior Program is closed but has bag lunch distribution on a limited basis.
  • For DACA scholarship assistance, please visit or call (206) 957-4605.
  • For all other programs and services, please contact staff listed on their Contact Us page as staff are doing everything possible to deliver services remotely. For example, some classes are being provided online like Financial Empowerment, Business Opportunity Center, Unidos in Finance and Unidos at Work.
  • All onsite gatherings have been postponed during this time period including tax preparation, legal clinics, ESL classes, meetings in the historic building and events in the Centilia Cultural Center.
  • For other questions, please call (206) 957-4605.

Seattle COVID-19 'Request Support' Form

If you need food or other supplies dropped off at your front door, fill out this Google Form

English (this one!):
Español (Spanish):
አማርኛ (Amharic):
ትግርኛ (Tigrinya):
Tiếng Việt (Vietnamese):
中文 (Mandarin):

Emergency Funds from Betancourt Macias Family Scholarship Foundation

If you are undocumented yourself or have family members who are undocumented and have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, you can fill out the request form from the Betancourt Macias Family Scholarship Foundation and receive emergency funds.

Remember the Dreamers

The Association of American Universities, Association of Public and Land-grant Universities and 13 other higher education organizations have created as part of their advocacy efforts on behalf of Dreamers and DACA recipients. The website is focused on advocating for Congress to find a legislative solution for the thousands of young people living in legal limbo while they wait for the Supreme Court’s ruling about the DACA program.

Washington Immigrant Solidarity Network

Washington Immigrant Solidarity Network has adapted their work to focus on the unique needs of our immigrant and refugee communities. They are prioritizing providing immigrant and refugee communities COVID-related immediate support and information.

Their work will adapt to the following:

  1. Bridging food access to undocumented families who may be at risk by training our 29 rapid response teams in 22 counties to provide emergency food relief, rental assistance support, labor protections, and connecting communities to local resources available in their county.

  2. Raising awareness that food access and testing for COVID-19 will not put people in fear of the public charge rule

  3. Providing accurate and vetted information through the WAISN Hotline in their language 1-844-724-3737

  4. Advocating for dignity to undocumented workers through State Unemployment Benefits, Healthcare Access and Demanding ICE & GEO be deemed non-essential operations to halt the detention and deportation machine.

Scholarship Junkies

Scholarship Junkies seeks to provide direct economic support to our undocumented community during the “Stay Home, Stay Healthy” order. Applications are now open, and they are estimating to distribute aid between $500 – $1,000 per individual to help where you need most. Fill out the form to apply and they will be in touch as soon as possible.

USCIS Resources

USCIS Response to the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)

As of March 18, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has temporarily suspended routine in-person services through at least May 3 to help slow the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). USCIS staff will continue to perform mission critical duties that do not involve contact with the public. However, USCIS will provide emergency services for limited situations. To schedule an emergency appointment contact the USCIS Contact Center. For more information about their response, please visit their website.

Public Charge

To view USCIS information and updates about Public Charge, please visit this website.

Click to view and download the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Public Charge Handout.


How to Apply for Unemployment in Washington State

Unemployment benefits provide you with temporary income when you lose your job through no fault of your own. The money partly replaces your lost earnings and helps you pay expenses while looking for new work. The benefits, from taxes your former employer(s) paid, are not based on financial need. While you receive benefits, your job is to get back to work as quickly as possible.

Worker Questions & Answers During This Time

The Employment Security Department of Washington State has created a guide to help you navigate the available services and benefits from the State of Washington.

Paid Sick Leave & Coronavirus from WA State Department of Labor and Industries

This page has information and guidance on use of the state’s paid sick leave laws (RCW 49.46 and WAC 296-128) in connection with the recent coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

The Unemployment Law Project

The Unemployment Law Project is a legal aid organization. They offer advice and free/low-cost legal representation to people whose unemployment benefits claims have been denied or challenged by the employer.

Address: 1904 Third Avenue Suite 604, Seattle WA 98101 | 888-441-9178 |

'Critical' Job Opportunities via WorkSource

The outbreak of COVID-19 in our region has caused widespread social and economic disruption, including layoffs and changes to the business landscape. In the midst of this, essential workforce needs have emerged in response to societal changes, including hiring increases for grocery stores, cleaning companies, healthcare, government services, and others. Please visit this website for more information.



Your Rights as a Tenant in Washington from WashingtonLawHelp

This information helps residential tenants and landlords in Washington understand their rights and responsibilities.

Trouble Paying Rent

  • If you are unable to make your full rent payment, contact your landlord immediately and try to work out an agreement. The Department of Housing and Urban Development offers counseling from organizations that can help you make the right decisions and point you towards the right resources.
  • On 03/18/2020, Governor Jay Inslee enacted a statewide moratorium on evictions of residential tenants for 30 days.

Governor Jay Inslee Announces Temporary Moratorium on Residential Evictions

Governor Jay Inslee has announced a temporary moratorium on evictions.

Housing Counseling from HUD Exchange

Find a local housing counselor to help answer your questions.

Troubling Paying Your Mortgage

  • If you do not have enough money in savings to cover your mortgage payment or rent, contact your lender or landlord immediately.
  • Don’t wait until you’re behind on payments. Lenders may work with you to waive late fees, set up a repayment plan or offer loan forbearance.
  • You can also contact the Washington Homeownership Hotline at 1.877.894.HOME for more information and assistance.

If I Can't Pay My Mortgage Loan, What Are My Options?

Information from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

List of Housing Counseling Agencies in Washington

Housing counselors may be able to assist you with your needs. Contact a housing counselor near you.

COVID-19 Mortgage Assistance Programs

The Washington State Department of Financial Institutions has compiled a list of mortgage assistance programs available to borrowers.


Domestic Violence

National Domestic Violence Hotline

At the National Domestic Violence Hotline, their highly trained expert advocates are available 24/7 to talk confidentially with anyone in the United States who is experiencing domestic violence, seeking resources or information, or questioning unhealthy aspects of their relationship.

The Hotline provides lifesaving tools and immediate support to empower victims and survivors to find safety and live free of abuse. They also provide support to friends and family members who are concerned about a loved one. Resources and help can be found by calling 1-800-799-SAFE (7233). Individuals who are Deaf or hard of hearing may use TTY 1-800-787-3224. Additionally, advocates who are Deaf are available 24/7 through the National Deaf Hotline by video phone at 1-855-812-1001, Instant Messenger (DeafHotline) or email (

Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Response to Coronavirus Round-Up

Staying home due to COVID-19 may be unsafe for people experiencing abuse. Please know that resources are available 24/7 and domestic violence programs across Washington state are working tirelessly to help people plan for their safety. Get connected here.

It is also an important time to activate friends, family, and community support to help survivors and their children who may be feeling frightened and isolated. WSCAD’s Friends & Family Guide has tips and tools for how to stay connected. Just reaching out can be incredibly helpful to break isolation.

As domestic violence and sexual assault programs across Washington state respond to the COVID-19 in their local communities, WSCAD will be sharing resources to help programs stay informed and connected. WSCAD will update their post as new information becomes available.

Washington State Coalition Against Domestic Violence: Legal Assistance