Photo on Page 1: The four Ionic columns in Sylvan Grove. These columns originally graced the portico of the University’s first building, which was erected in 1861 on the territorial site in downtown Seattle. They were salvaged when the building was torn down and installed on the new campus (very near the intersection of King and Pierce Lanes in the Quad) in 1911. In 1921 they were moved to their current home in Sylvan Grove. Replicas of these columns form the backdrop for our commencement stage. They remind us of our duty to preserve for future generations the priceless legacy of all those who have come before us.