Research Experience for Teachers (RET) Programs
Making Self Assembly Models
Lego AFM Model
BioNano RET 2006
2010 ASM / GEMSEC Teachers Materials Camp (2009, 2010)
Who: High school general science, chemistry, physics, math and technology teachers; middle school science teachers.
What: A one-week workshop to show you how to use low cost / no cost, simple labs and experiments using everyday materials that can be integrated into your existing lesson plans.
Why: To engage and excite young people in science and math!
Where & When: Twenty-seven (27) ASM Materials Camp-Teachers locations. View locations and dates or visit: www.asmfoundation.org.
Program Fees: None—program includes lunch and supplies; transportation and other costs are your expense.
Credit: Graduate credits available for an additional cost of about $200.
Schedule: This is a full day (8:00 to 5:00 PM) 5-day long workshop.
Faculty: Primary faculty are two experienced high school “Master Teachers” who have taught materials science courses for many years and helped develop this innovative approach to hands-on learning of applied science principles.
How to apply: Apply online at http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22A2GLCBHFF or visit: www.asmfoundation.org.
Past Programs: BioNano Research Experience for Teachers
Sponsored jointly by GEMSEC and the UW's Center for Nanotechnology (CNT), supported by National Science Foundation (NSF) funding, BioNano RET 2006, 2007 & 2008 offered high school teachers an engaging, in-depth, research experience in cutting edge, interdisciplinary science.
Working in small teams along side GEMSEC and CNT faculty, BioNano teacher participants collaborated to develop inquiry-based learning classroom activities to engage and excite high school students. In addition, they have:
- Learned about biomimetic nanoscale science and technology using current laboratory techniques, instrumentation, and approaches
- Explored a recently-developed high school classroom lesson in this field
- Discovered career opportunities to share with students
The BioNano Research Experience for Teachers, included the following components:
- Seminars, lectures, and laboratory tours from a range of bionanotechnology researchers
- Review of key components of inquiry-based teaching materials
- Readings in basic nanotechnology concepts, methods, and applications
- Collegial development of hands-on bionanotechnology learning modules that incorporate best educational practices
Each participant received a stipend upon completion of the BioNano RET. In addition, to a supplies budget for developing teaching modules.
For further information about GEMEC RET programs, please contact:
Dr. Ethan Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-616-9760