To read more about physical diagnosis skills, check out the General References
- Badgett, RG et al. Can moderate chronic obstructive pulmonary disease be diagnosed by historical and physical findings alone? Am J Med 1993; 94:188-196
- Butman et al. Bedside cardiovascular examination in patients with severe chronic heart failure: importance of rest or inducible jugular venous distension. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993; 22:968-74.
- Fishman, Alfred P. Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders 3rd Edition, McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York) 1998.
- Gennis P, Gallaghter J, Falvo C, Baker S, Than W. Clinical criteria for the detection of pneumonia in adults: guidelines for ordering chest roentgenograms in the emergency department. J Emerg Med 1989; 7:263-8.
- Gold WM. Pulmonary Function Testing. In Textbook of Respiratory Medicine. 2nd Edition. Editors Murray and Nadel. (WB Saunders) 1994 p. 798-893.
- Heckerling PS, Tape TG, Wigton RS et al. Ann Intern Med 1990; 113:664-70.
- Holleman, DR et al. Diagnosis of obstructive airways disease from the clinical examination. J Gen Intern Med 1993; 8:63-68.
- Metlay JP, Kapoor WN, Fine MJ. Does this patient have community-acquired pneumonia? JAMA 1997; 278:1440-5.
- Norris GW, Landis HRM. Diseases of the chest and the principles of physical diagnosis. 5th edition (WB Saunders, Philadelphia), 1933.
- Pinsky, LE, Wipf, JE. Return to the bedside with a master clinician [video]. University of Washington, 1998. Color, 84 minutes. Available from: University of Washington Health Sciences Center for Educational Resources, Seattle, WA.
- Sapira JD. The art and science of bedside diagnosis. (Urban & Schwarzenberg, Baltimore) 1990, p 380-382.
- Warren, P, Warren, F. Window on the breast: 19th century English developments in pulmonary diagnosis. Lancet 1997; 349:798-801.
- Wipf JE, et al. Diagnosing pneumonia by physical examination: relevant or relic? Arch Intern Med, 1999, 159:1082-1087.