How to Beat the "I Forgots"
CONCEPT: Independence Skills
Participants complete a worksheet dealing with strategies to remember important things.
After completing this activity, participants will be able to:
- define "memory aid"
- create a memory aid for a hypothetical task/situation
- create a memory aid for a personal task
Discuss memory aids:
- Who knows what a memory aid is? (memory aids make associations (links) between what you need to remember and what you are likely to remember)
- What kinds of memory aids are there?
Distribute the worksheet. Go through the first half together. Have participants complete the scenarios individually.
Discuss the answers to the first scenario:
- What were common answers?
- What were unusual/original answers?
Discuss the tasks chosen for the second question:
- What types of tasks could be usefull in managing PKU?
- How would you create memory aids for these situations?
- Worksheet: How to Beat the "I Forgots"
Practice using these strategies at home to remember important tasks you need to do.