Road Trip Munchies
CONCEPT: Making Healthy Choices, Recipe Modification
Participants complete a worksheet and practice planning a healthy, low phe snack to share with others.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- suggest a healthy, low phe snack to take on a road trip (or to another activity with friends)
- list steps to change a higher phe recipe into a lower phe recipe (substitute a low phe ingredient for a high phe ingredient, eliminate the high phe ingredients, use less of the ingredient than the recipe calls for)
Distribute the "Road Trip Munchies" worksheet and a Food List to each participant.
Participants complete the worksheet individually. Provide assistance, as needed.
When finished, discuss their answers together.
Reinforce the steps taken to change a higher phe recipe into a lower phe recipe. These include:
- Substituting a low phe ingredient for a high phe ingredient
- Eliminating the high phe ingredients
- Using less of the ingredient than the recipe calls for
Review examples of each of these steps above. Where in the activity did the participants use these steps?
Discuss real-life experiences:
- Who has been on a road trip? What did you do about food and formula?
- Who has had to figure out a snack to take somewhere? Where? What did you take?
- Who has modified a recipe to contain less phe? What recipe?
- Worksheet: Road Trip Munchies
- Food List