CONCEPT: PKU Diet, Cooking with PKU
Participants alter a menu to suit their personal taste preferences and also make it lower in phe and higher in nutrition. Then they prepare a shopping list for their menu.
After completing this activity, participants will be able to:
- suggest ways to add variety, improve nutrient content, and lower phe content of a given week's menu
- prepare a shopping list for a week's menu
Distribute the worksheet. Participants complete the worksheet individually. When finished, review their answers together, with questions such as:
- Would you eat this menu of foods?
- What would you change?
- Think about how nutritious the meals are. Are they high in sugar? Do they contain enough fruits and vegetables? Are they too repetitious? Are they too high in phe?
- How can you lower the phe content?
- What changes did you make to the menu?
- Who shops for food or help's your parents shop for food?
- Do you use a shopping list?
- Why is it helpful to use a shopping list? (don't forget what you need to buy, if you follow the list you won't buy food that you don't need...)
Encourage your son or daughter to plan menus (with your help, if needed) and help with the shopping. Teach your teen how to shop and encourage them to take over some of the shopping.