CONCEPT: Making Healthy Choices, PKU Diet
Participants complete a worksheet dealing with food and formula decisions for a slumber party.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- decide how they would manage PKU at a slumber party
- describe strategies for managing PKU
Distribute the "Slumber Party" worksheet and a Food List to each participant.
Participants complete the worksheets independently. Provide assistance, as needed.
Discuss the answers:
- What did most people decide to do about formula?
- How will they bring formula to the party?
- What was the most common answer? What was the most creative answer?
- How did most participants approach food?
- Did most people decide to eat a lot of low phe foods--or a few high phe foods?
- Who decided to bring their own food? What would they bring?
- What additional snack ideas did people come up with?
Discuss real-life experiences:
- Who has been to a slumber party (or stayed overnight at a friend's house)?
- Who has had to figure our how to take formula somewhere? Where? How did they do it?
- What are some creative food options?
- Worksheet: Slumber Party!!
- Food List
At home, discuss different food situations and a few strategies. Having a "plan of attack" before the actual event often makes dealing with the event easier.