Vending Machine Munchies
CONCEPT: Making Healthy Choices, PKU Diet
Participants complete a worksheet, looking at the phe content of food choices from vending machines.
After completing this activity, participants will be able to:
- be familiar with foods typically found in vending machines and their phe content
- select a low phe snack from food choices available in vending machines
Distribute the "Vending Machine Munchies" worksheet.
Participants complete the worksheet individually. Provide assistance, as needed.
Discuss their answers.
- Does anyone ever buy snacks from vending machines?
- Are there options in the vending machines that are appropriate choices for the PKU diet? If so, what?
- How was your estimation of phe values? Did you tend to over-estimate or under-estimate?
- For which foods is it most important to be accurate in estimating portion sizes and phe content? Why?