Disability Resources for Students

Complaint Resolution Resources

The University of Washington is committed to providing equality of opportunity and an
environment that fosters respect for all members of the University community.

lf you are having difficulty with a person, office, or department at the University of Washington
and believe you have or may be experiencing mistreatment or discrimination on the basis of your disability, you can contact the resources listed below for assistance.

For more information about the process and your rights as a student, please review the
university documents Executive Order No. 31: Non-discrimination and Affirmative Action and
Resolution of Complaints Against University Employees.

Steps to take if you have a conflict:

  • Try to resolve issue with faculty and/or staff directly
  • Contact DRS for assistance in resolving issues related to accommodations
  • Engage UW campus/off-campus resources if initial avenues do not resolve
    the concern/complaint

Some strategies to help you get your concerns addressed:

  • When making a complaint, be specific. lt can be helpful to document the
    incident(s), and the action(s) taken, including dates, times, names and a statement
    explaining the interactions. State what individual(s)/office(s) you believe has
    discriminated against you, when the incident occurred, and describe the incident.
  • lf you are attempting to resolve a problem that includes a number of offices,
    it may help to let each office know what other efforts you have made to try to
    resolve the complaint.
  • Keep a record of all written correspondence between yourself and the various
    offices you work with.

UW Campus Resources

DISABILITY RESOURCES FOR STUDENTS (DRS) is available to assist students in solving problems related to the provision of academic accommodations. DRS staff are often able to assist in resolving complaints quickly, as UW faculty and/or staff are not always aware of the rights of students with disabilities. DRS can also appropriately refer students to other offices or individuals who can assist with resolution. Students can contact their DRS Coordinator or the DRS office directly if they have questions.

THE ADA COORDINATOR can provide information and assistance to individuals who wish to raise a complaint or have concerns or questions regarding ADA/Section 504 guidance. Additionally, DRS may consult directly with the ADA Coordinator as needed on areas of UW policy and process. Students may contact the UW ADA Coordinator at 206-543-9717 (voice and relay) or  adaoffce@uw.edu (e-mail). More information on the website: https://www.washington.edu/ada/

THE OFFICE OF THE OMBUD provides resources and facilitation for preventing, managing, and resolving conflict at the university. Students may drop by the office at HUB 339 during normal business hours, or contact the staff at 206-543-6028 (voice), ombuds@uw.edu (email), or visit their website at https://uw.edu/ombud.

CIVIL RIGHTS INVESTIGATION OFFICE is the place to request a formal University investigation and resolution of complaints regarding nondiscrimination and/or non-retaliation policies. Call 206-616-2028 (voice) to discuss your complaint with a Civil Rights Investigation Office staff member. Students may be asked to leave a message, but will get a return phone call from a staff member. You can also contact the office at cr-investigations@uw.edu (email), or visit their website at https://www.washington.edu/cr-investigations.

Off-Campus Resources

THE WASHINGTON STATE HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION (WSHRC) is the state agency responsible for administering the Washington Law Against Discrimination (RCW 49.60); they serve as a neutral, fact-finding agency to investigate and resolve complaints of discriminatory practices. You can contact the WSHRC at 800-233-3247 (toll-free voice), 206-464-6500 (voice) or 206-587-5168 (TTY). For more information, visit their website at: http://hum.wa.gov.

THE OFFICE FOR CIVIL RIGHTS (OCR) in the U.S. Department of Education is the enforcement agency far Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. OCR will examine the factors of the alleged discrimination and interview appropriate persons to establish the facts, determine if discrimination has taken place and resolve the complaint. When a student is not satisfied with the on-campus efforts to resolve a complaint, OCR is a place to turn.

You can contact the Washington State office at 206-607-1600 (voice) or 800-877-8339 (TTY), or OCR.Seattle@ed.gov (email). For more information about the ED OCR, go to their website: https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/ .

(Updated 1/2020)