Disability Resources for Students
Who We Are
Welcome to Disability Resources for Students (DRS), a unit within the Division of Student Life. DRS is dedicated to ensuring access and inclusion for all students with disabilities on the Seattle campus enrolled in our undergraduate, graduate, professional, Evening Degree and Access programs for over 38 years. DRS serves 2,000+ students with either temporary or permanent physical, health, learning, sensory or psychological disabilities. Students partner with our office to establish services for their access and inclusion on campus.
Embedded in the core values of the University of Washington is a commitment to ensuring access to a quality higher education experience for a diverse student population. Disability Resources for Students (DRS) recognizes disability as an aspect of diversity that is integral to society and to our campus community. DRS serves as a partner in fostering an inclusive and equitable environment for all University of Washington students.
The core functions of the DRS office
- Partner with students with disabilities to establish services for their access and inclusion on campus
- Manage, coordinate, implement and evaluate accommodation/service programs
- Serve as a resource to students/faculty/staff to ensure effective provision of services
- Provide educational and resource support to the campus community to increase awareness regarding how to create and sustain access and inclusion for students with disabilities in all aspects of the university
- Provide resource and referral information to the campus community and prospective student and their families
DRS works with each student individually to establish academic adjustments and auxiliary aids and services, more frequently referred to as academic accommodations for the purpose of eliminating the environmental barriers impacting the student’s equitable access to the campus facilities, programs and activities. To find out more information about how to establish services with DRS, please reference our Getting Started section.
Demographics of DRS Students (Seattle Only) Fall 2015- Spring 2016
- # of Students: 2093
- # of UW Student Veterans: 77
- # of International Students: 64
- # of Graduating students: 360
- # of Athletes: 90
- # of DRS Students participating in a Study Abroad program: 113
- Average GPA of DRS students over 2015-2016: 3.2