Rules of the Road: Participating in BRI Discussion Groups
Each year trainees must attend BRI discussion groups. Unlike a didactic lecture-style setting, discussion groups are dynamic co-owned learning spaces in which everyone is responsible for the learning experience. With that in mind, here are the “Rules of the Road” for participation in BRI discussion groups:
- Every member of the group is responsible for making sure the group works
- Everyone should be on time
- Everyone should be prepared by having attended or viewed the lecture and read (at least) the primary assigned reading
- Everyone should listen carefully to others
- Everyone should be respectful of the opinions of others (disagreement is OK but should be explored through respectful, collaborative dialogue)
- No one is allowed to dominate the conversation
- Anyone can call for help from others in the group
- Discussion groups are confidential, meaning that what is shared in the room should not be shared outside the room.
Your active participation helps create the learning environment that makes the BRI program’s discussion groups successful. We would like to express our appreciation for the insights and contributions that you bring to group discussions!