Discussion groups will be offered at both the University of Washington and Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. Space in discussion groups is limited; priority at the UW is given to School of Medicine trainees. Fred Hutch-based trainees will be given priority when registering for discussion groups offered at that site.
For those affiliated with Fred Hutch who wish to attend a discussion group there, dates and times for groups will be posted on the Fred Hutch Web site. For more information contact Lee Strucker, 206-667-1247 or at email@example.com. If you are a UW trainee planning to attend a Fred Hutch discussion group, you must first secure a place with the Hutch before registering online for the UW Program.
All discussion groups are 60-minutes in length and accomodate 10-12 people. All discussion groups held at the UW are from 9:45-10:45am, 11:00am-noon, 12:15-1:15 pm or 3:30-4:30pm.
To register, gather together the required information (UW NetID, PI's UW NetID or email, grant info and specific requirements for your grant or department), and then go to the (MyBRI or Current Lectures) and complete the online form. You will need your UW NetID in order to register.
Discussion Group Guidelines:
Group discussion are designed not necessarily to provide answers, rather to provide you with useful tools.
Please read this page in its entirety as it contains important information.
A web link for materials for the discussion group are sent in an email to register participants approximately one week prior to the group. Please review the questions and articles prior to the group discussion. You may also click Discussion group participant guides, readings, map, and instructions to get the materials (UWNetID required).
- You will receive credit only for attending the discussion group(s) for which you have pre-registered. Please check the lists posted on the doors to make sure you are in the right room.
- It is important that you attend the discussion group in the room in which you are assigned. Attendees are posted outside each door – make sure you are in the correct room.
- Groups usually fill quickly. If you do not attend the group you signed up for,, you must request to be rescheduled as the program locks your selection within 72 hours of your scheduled group. If you don't show up, an email will be sent to you and copied to your PI/department. Our Group Leaders volunteer their time and no shows affect the group dynamic.
- Please be on time for the discussion group. No trainees will be admitted more than 10 minutes after the group starts. If you can't stay for the entire hour, you should consider rescheduling to a date when you can commit to the full hour.
- Please be prepared for discussion. A web link for your questions to think about and reading materials will be sent to you by the registration program one week prior to group. Please follow the link and read the materials.
- Discussion group conversations are CONFIDENTIAL.