January 25, 2018
New Resource for Admissions Review
Admissions review for 2018 is in full swing for most of our graduate programs!
You may have questions about an applicant’s admissibility:
- Is the applicant’s degree equivalent to a four-year US baccalaureate?
- Is the institution accredited by the proper academic authorities?
- Is the grade point average equivalent to a 3.0 (B) average?
- Regarding accreditation, we have updated the footnotes on Understanding the Application Process with a link to the World Higher Education Database (WHED). WHED is maintained by the International Association of Universities, which is a recognized authority on higher education worldwide. You can utilize this search engine to easily check an institution’s accreditation (just enter the name of the institution into the search box).
- We’ve updated the US footnotes to include links to the various regional accrediting associations, although you can also continue to use AACRAO‘s site.
- You are also welcome to submit an evaluation request to GEMS by checking the request box in the applicant’s application. (You can review the help file by visiting MGP > Help > Applications (Other) > How to Request a computed GPA and/or degree evaluation.) GEMS will evaluate degree equivalency, grade point average, and accreditation. If there’s a particular question or concern, you can use the department comments field to ask GEMS a question (e.g., “Does the BA degree satisfy Memo 8?” or “Does this school have the right accreditation?”).