August 21, 2019
Summer 2019 Graduation: Submit Candidacy & Degree Recommendations
Students graduating Summer Quarter 2019 must complete all degree requirements on or before August 23, 2019. Please use the following checklist to assist GEMS in providing a quick and successful graduation for your students.
Before you recommend a student for graduation in MyGrad, verify the following:
- the master’s degree request indicates the correct degree code; contact GEMS if the degree code is incorrect
- department contingencies have been cleared
- petitions, if necessary, have been submitted and approved by GEMS
- required courses have grades appearing on the degree audit
- all requirements appear OK (satisfied) on the degree audit; see exceptions under Requirement Status on Degree Audit in the below section.
- current quarter grades have posted to the transcript
- the warrant has been printed; see MGP Help
- August 27: Per UW Registrar Office, grades due from faculty at 5 p.m. via GradeBook/GradePage
- August 28: Graduation recommendations due from GPAs/GPCs at 5 p.m. via MyGrad for priority graduation
- September 3: Graduation recommendations due from GPAs/GPCs at 5 p.m. via MyGrad
If you are unable to make recommendations by the 5 p.m., Tuesday, September 3rd deadline, email GEMS at firstname.lastname@example.org with the student’s name and student number.
As always, thank you for your support in providing graduate students with a positive UW experience.
Requirement Status on Degree Audit
The Degree Audit is color-coded to help you quickly identify the status of requirements:
IP – The requirement is satisfied when the current or in-progress courses are completed.
NO – The requirement has not been satisfied.
OK – The requirement has been satisfied.
You can run the Degree Audit from the Student Detail Page in MGP to verify that all requirements appear OK with a few exceptions:
The following requirements will always appear as NO because they are satisfied by GEMS during graduation processing:
- Thesis accepted by the Graduate School
- Thesis written in English
- Dissertation accepted by the Graduate School
- Dissertation written in English
- Registered as a graduate student the quarter the Final Exam is taken
The following requirement will appear as NO if the student is paying the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee:
- Maintain registration as a graduate student through the end of the quarter in which the degree is conferred
All other requirements should appear OK before you recommend graduation in MyGrad.
Degree Audit Tips
- Examine the IP requirements closely. Sometimes grades are missing for required courses taken in previous quarters/years.
- Do not recommend graduation if an IP course is a required course. Confirm the grade has posted before you recommend graduation.