June 15, 2021
Spring 2021 Graduation & Degree Audit Help
Please use the following checklist to assist GEMS in providing a quick and successful graduation for your students:
Before you recommend a student for graduation in MyGrad, verify the following:
- the master’s degree request indicates the correct degree code. If the code is incorrect, please enter a departmental comment on the Master’s Request before recommending the student for graduation, such as “ATTN GEMS: Update Degree code to MUSIC-20-25.“
- department contingencies have been cleared
- petitions, if necessary, have been submitted and approved by GEMS
- required courses have grades appearing on the degree audit
- all requirements appear OK (satisfied) on the degree audit (see exceptions under Requirement Status on Degree Audit in the below section)
- current quarter grades have posted to the transcript
- the warrant has been printed; see MGP Help
Requirement Status on Degree Audit
The Degree Audit is color-coded to help you quickly identify the status of requirements:
IP – The requirement is satisfied when the current or in-progress courses are completed.
NO – The requirement has not been satisfied.
OK – The requirement has been satisfied.
You can run the Degree Audit from the Student Detail Page in MGP to verify that all requirements appear OK with a few exceptions:
The following requirements will always appear as NO because they are satisfied by GEMS during graduation processing:
- Thesis accepted by the Graduate School
- Thesis written in English
- Dissertation accepted by the Graduate School
- Dissertation written in English
- Registered as a graduate student the quarter the Final Exam is taken
The following requirement will appear as NO if the student is paying the Graduate Registration Waiver Fee:
- Maintain registration as a graduate student through the end of the quarter in which the degree is conferred
All other requirements should appear OK before you recommend graduation in MyGrad.
Degree Audit Tips
- Examine the IP requirements closely. Sometimes grades are missing for required courses taken in previous quarters/years.
- Do not recommend graduation if an IP course is a required course. Confirm the grade has posted before you recommend graduation.
New Departmental Exceptions and DARS Help Files
Please refer to our Spring 2021 Graduation Updates blog for new departmental exceptions.