Leadership Without Borders

Immigration Preparedness Information

Leadership Without Borders
Resource Hub 

Basic Human & Legal Rights


Regardless of immigration status, you have rights and civil liberties. It is very important to know:

  1. You have the right to remain silent – immigration officers can use anything you say against you.
  2. You have the right to refuse search of your car or home– ask to see a warrant.
  3. You have the right to call an attorney – have the information of an attorney somewhere safe and easy to get.
  4. You can refuse to sign anything that you do not understand – do not sign any documents.

(Download Files)

Know Your Rights Card 1
Know Your Rights Card 2
Know Your Rights Card 3

Student Rights Information – FERPA & Resources
Student Rights_FERPA

Emergency Info Card

In order to be prepared, fill out an Emergency Info Card. Always carry the following information (may pick one up from the LWB office)

call safety card-01

call safety card-02

Family Preparedness

Your family and you can be prepared. Please use the following documents to help you and your family prepare. This is especially important if you are in a mixed status family and have siblings under 18.

Things to do BEFORE a family emergency

  • Talk with family members and trusted friends about how you would want your family and financial matters handled in the event you were detained or deported. Together with your family members, create and write a plan for what to do in the event of an emergency, including detention and deportation.
  • Talk with your children about roles and responsibilities in the case of an emergency.
  • Talk to an attorney about executing Power of Attorney documents, which give a trusted relative or friend the legal authority to make family or financial decisions on your behalf in certain circumstances (such as if you are detained).
  • Get current passports for all family members.

Non-U.S. citizens should contact their home country’s consulate to get passports. U.S. citizens can apply for passports at their local U.S. Post Office.

Families should have the following documentation

  • The child’s school emergency contact information
  • The child’s immunization records
  • Intention of Parents for Care for Minor Child (Must be notarized)
  • Temporary Parental Consent Agreement (Must be notarized)
  • The child’s birth certificate (whether it is from US or another country)
  • The child’s social security card
  • The child’s passport


(Download Files)


Intention of Parents_document

Temporary Consent Parental Agreement



Department of Homeland Security in the Community

In order for Immigration to be able to come in to your home or your work they must have a warrant. You will sometimes see them in the community but it will more likely be in your home or in a job setting. Regardless of the situation often times they use methods of intimidation to scare you or mislead you in knowing your rights. NEVER open the door and ask if they can slide a warrant if questioned. It is also important to now that the Department of Homeland Security has different agencies. Below are some that you probably have heard of before and will be likely to see or encounter.

Important agencies to know about

  1. An agency that investigates violations of the Immigration and Nationality Act and enforces the detention, deportation and removal of violators of United States immigration law (Enforcement and Removal Operations).
  2. An agency that enforces U.S. laws while it investigates and gathers intelligence on national and international criminal activities that threaten the security of the homeland (Homeland Security Investigations).

Steps to take when encountering any federal law enforcement

  1. Recognize if there is the threat.
  2. Stay calm and do not run.
  3. Remove yourself from the situation if possible.
  4. If questioned – know your rights.
  5. Be cautious with reporting and alerting others – if you can take photos or video from afar to keep for record.


UW Legal Resources

(Download file: Legal Services_Students)

UW Legal Service

Legal services are available at the Student Legal Services (SLS) office, located on the UW- Seattle campus a program of the Husky Union Building within the Office of the Vice Provost of Student Life. The SLS office provides students with confidential legal advice and representation of its students. Students are offered a 40 minute consultation for free. They also receive unlimited free consultations as long as the issues are unrelated. If students need ongoing representation, SLS will charge additional costs. The issues that SLS represents will vary.

Legal Service Office Hours:
Monday – Friday: 9am – 5pm
Phone: 206.543.6486
Email:  slsuw@uw.edu

UW Law Immigration Clinic

The Immigration Law Clinic at the University of Washington School of Law is operated in partnership with the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (NWIRP), the state’s primary provider of immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and refugees. The clinic consists of eight students and a supervising attorney/instructor who work on cases for individuals who would otherwise lack legal representation. NWIRP screens and refers clients to the Immigration Law Clinic.


  • University of Washington School of Law
    Clinical Law Program
    William H. Gates Hall, Suite 265
    P. O. Box 85110
    Seattle, WA 98145-1110Phone: 206-543-3434
    Email: clinics@uw.edu

Legal Services Community Organizations

Northwest Immigrant Rights Project

Promotes justice by defending and advancing the rights of immigrants through direct legal services, systemic advocacy, and community education. Northwest Immigrant Rights Project strives for justice and equity for all persons, regardless of where they were born.

Western Washington or Seattle

The Western Washington office individuals in Clallam, Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Island, Jefferson, King, Kitsap, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Pierce, San Juan, Skagit, Skamania, Snohomish, Thurston, Wahkiakum & Whatcom counties.

Hours: Monday to Friday 9:30AM – 12:00PM and 1:00PM – 4:00PM
Phone: 206.587.4009
Toll Free: 800.445.5771


Colectiva de Pueblo

Types of Immigration Legal Services Provided: Help completing forms, Filings with USCIS, Representation at Asylum Interviews (Credible Fear Interviews, Reasonable Fear Interviews), Representation before the Immigration Court, Representation before the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), Federal court appeals

Burien Office
14249 Ambaum Boulevard SW, Suite R
Burien, WA 98166
Phone: 206.931.1514
Fax: 206.730.8084


Catholic Community Services of Western Washington- Catholic Immigration Legal Services (Seattle Office)

The Catholic Immigration Legal Services is a recognized program that assists in assuring high quality legal representation. Some of the services include; DACA, family-based immigration, Citizenship/ naturalization, adjustment of status (green cards), travel documents (advance parole), green card replacements or renewals, mock interviews, and community outreach to encourage people to apply for citizenship and enhance awareness of citizenship benefits.

Use iAmerica to look for organizations that can help you based on your zip code:



If you find yourself in an emergency situation and need to talk to somebody right away, please call us at: 206-685-6301.