After School Snacks
CONCEPT: Eating with PKU
Practice making healthy snack choices while completing a worksheet about after school snacks
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- children will be able to suggest appropriate, low phe snacks
- given a recipe or the ingredients for a food, participants can identify high phe ingredients and suggest substitutions
- Begin the activity with a discussion of snacks.
- Who eats snacks?
- What kind of snacks do you usually eat?
- Do you have a snack when you get home from school?
- Who makes your snacks?
- What is the perfect after school snack?
- Discuss good choices for after-school snacks that fit into the PKU diet. Is it ever difficult to find a healthy, low phe snack at home (like when it's close to time to go grocery shopping and there isn't much food...)? What do you do?
- Distribute the worksheet.
Depending on the age of the children, you can work through the worksheet together as a group, or independently. Discuss their answers.
- Low Protein Food List for PKU
Talk with your child about after school snacks that are available in your home. Brainstorm together for new ideas.