Build Your Own Snack
CONCEPT: Eating with PKU
Sandwiches can make great low phe meals and snacks! Participants complete a worksheet to calculate the phe in different kinds of sandwiches and then get to make their own.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- suggest appropriate low phe sandwich fillings
- identify high phe sandwich ingredients/fillings and suggest low phe substitutions
- calculate the amount of phe in a sandwich
Who likes sandwiches?!!! They can make a great low phe meal!
- Distribute the "Sandwich Ideas" handout to the children. Discuss different types of low phe sandwiches. What is your favorite low phe sandwich?
- Sandwich Worksheet
Distribute the "Sandwiches, Sandwiches" worksheet and a Food List to each child. Explain the activity to the participants (directions are on the top of the page) and allow them to work through it on their own. Discuss the answers together.
- Build Your Own Sandwich!
Participants will have the opportunity to make their own sandwich, calculate its phe content, and eat it!
Give each child a "Build Your Own Sandwich" activity sheet. Explain that they are going to make their own sandwich today to eat. But first, we need to figure out how much phe their sandwich will contain. They select the toppings from the list that they would like to have on their sandwich and add up the total phe content. Then they get to make that sandwich...and eat it!
- Sandwich Ideas
- Worksheet: Sandwiches, Sandwiches
- Food List
- Activity: Build Your Own Sandwich
- Foods listed on the "Build Your Own Sandwich" Worksheet (to make sandwiches with): low protein bread, Miracle Whip, ketchup, chopped olives, pickle coins, chopped lettuce, apple butter, jelly, Nucoa margarine
- Serving utensils