Denny the Dragon and His Magic Milk
CONCEPT: Eating with PKU
Read a fun story about Denny, a dragon with PKU. We learn why Denny is extra special and what he does to be healthy and fit.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- name three things, related to PKU management, that they do to be healthy
- recognize that everybody is different from each other and that this is a good thing (otherwise life would be boring)
- state one positive thing they can do when they are feeling it is tough to be different
Read the story Denny the Dragon and His Magic Milk together. Give each child a copy of the coloring book. Let the children take turns reading the story out loud.
Lead a discussion about the story with the children, asking questions such as:
- What makes Denny the Dragon extra special?
- What does it mean when Denny says that "none of us hatched exactly the same"? ( We're all different!)
- What would it be like if we were all the same? ( boring!)
- What does Denny call his formula? What do you call your formula?
- What does Denny do to stay healthy and fit and ferocious? ( drinks his Super Juice (formula), eats low protein foods, checks his blood phe level, goes to clinic to see his doctor and nutritionist regularly) What do you do to stay healthy?
- What would happen if you didn't drink your formula?
- According to Denny, what is the magic of life? ( We're all different!)
- Do you ever feel like it's tough being different? What do you do when you feel this way?
After the discussion time, children can spend time coloring their books.
- Story: Denny the Dragon and His Magic Milk, by Nancy Beiman, Maria Rosetti, and Holly Wolf. Available through SHS North America, contact information: 1-800-365-7354 or www.shsna.com