CONCEPT: What is PKU?
Read a story about Detective Dawg and his discovery of the meaning of the mysterious letters "PKU".
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- state that the part of protein that a person with PKU has trouble with is phenylalanine
- state that a person with PKU can keep the phe in their blood at a good level by eating low protein foods
- name three consequences of high blood phe levels (i.e., poor growth, poor health, poor concentration, inability to think well, irritability, not feeling well, etc.)
Read the story, Detective Dawg and the Package together. Have the children take turns reading the story out loud.
Discuss the story with the children, with questions such as:
- What does PKU stand for?
- What does Phe stand for?
- Why can't you eat foods high in phe?
- What happens if you eat too much phe?
- How can you keep your blood phe levels at the right level?
Distribute the worksheets. Allow time for the children to complete them on their own. Discuss the answers.
- Hidden Words Activity
- Hidden Fruits and Vegetables Activity.(answers: 1-banana, 2-pear, 3-apple, 4-peach, 5-carrot, 6-plum)