CONCEPT: Responsibility, Independence
Review the concept of independence.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- define independence
- list three things they do independently
- identify at least two areas in their lives were they can learn to be more independent (and less depedent on caregivers to do things for them)
Lead a discussion about independence, with questions such as:
- What does the word independent mean?
- Do you need to be responsible when you are doing something independently? Why or why not?
- What are some things (in general) that you do independently?
- What do you do independently to manage your PKU? Is this easy or hard to do?
- What other things could you learn how to do independently? (in general and in relation to PKU management)
- How would you learn how to do this?
Distribute the Independence IQ activity to the children. Allow time for them to answer the questions on their own. Discuss their answers together.
- Independence IQ Activity