Kevin's New Friend
CONCEPT: What is PKU?
Read a story together about a boy with PKU who moves to a new town and meets a new friend, who has diabetes. The boys become friends and discuss their similarities.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- recognize that many different people follow different types of special diets
- provide an explanation of why they follow a special diet
Read the story Kevin's New Friend together. Let the children take turns reading the story out loud.
Discuss the story with the children, with questions such as:
- Why couldn't Kevin eat chicken and milk?
- Why couldn't Jeff eat sugar?
- Do you know anyone who follows a special diet? What kind?
- (Emphasize that many people can't eat certain foods and it is okay to politely refuse to eat a certain food if it is not good for you.)
Distribute the worksheet. Allow the children time to complete it. Discuss the answers together.
If you know someone on a special diet (weight loss, low-salt, low-fat, etc.), discuss this with your child. Perhaps this person on the special diet could talk with your child and they could discuss their similarities and differences, and the fact that many people are on special diets.