Let's Go To Camp!
CONCEPT: Healthy Food Choices Away From Home
Discuss camp adventures and complete a worksheet to think about food and formula decisions at camp.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- identify appropriate foods for the PKU diet from a camp menu
- list foods they could choose for their meals or snacks while at camp
- describe strategies for addressing camp food dilemmas (such as making S'mores by the campfire or going on an overnight campout)
- Open the activity with a discussion about summer camp, with questions such as:
- Who has been to camp before?
- What was it like? What activities did you do? What was your favorite activity?
- Where did you eat your meals? What kind of food choices did they have?
- How did you decide what to eat? Did you know what the menu would be beforehand?
- How did it work with your formula? Did you make it? Did someone else make it? When did you drink it?
- Did you go on any overnight adventures? If so, where did you go? What did you do about food and formula?
- If nobody has been to camp, discuss the above questions together to problem solve what they could do if they were going.
- Complete the worksheet:
Distribute the worksheet to each participant. Review the answers after they have completed it.
- Let's Go To Camp! worksheet