The UW Autism Center is a nonprofit organization devoted to supporting individuals and families affected by autism spectrum disorders through exceptional clinical services, innovative scientific research and high-quality training.
Our mission is:
- To offer state-of-the-art clinical services to individuals with ASD from birth through young adulthood, and their families
- To increase community knowledge and service capacity through public awareness and professional training
- To conduct research to understand what causes ASD, how it develops, and how it can be treated or prevented.
The UW Autism Center is part of the Center on Human Development and Disability (CHDD) at the University of Washington and incorporates faculty and staff from the UW School of Medicine, College of Arts & Sciences, and College of Education.
The research program at the UW Autism Center collaborates with scientists from a variety of disciplines in an effort to discover the cause of autism and develop effective treatments. Our program is part of a large, national research network and is funded by the National Institutes of Health Autism Centers of Excellence (ACE) program and previously by the Studies to Advance Autism Research and Treatment (STAART) and Collaborative Programs of Excellence in Autism (CPEA). Collaboration is essential as we address the questions confronting individuals, families, and the larger autism community.
Our research efforts are focused on:
- Increasing early diagnosis of autism and related disorders
- Understanding the neurobiological basis of autism
- Understanding brain functioning, language, and cognitive development in autism
- Identifying early biological and behavioral predictors of outcome
- Identifying the genes related to autism
- Developing and assessing behavioral and biological treatments for autism
UW Autism Center has a satellite clinic on the UW Tacoma campus. Through active collaboration with local professionals and parents, the Tacoma site provides clinical services to the South Sound and strives to increase community capacity to serve individuals with ASD through education and training. We aim to be an autism resource UW Tacoma and the surrounding community.
Meet our Clinical Staff
Sign up for our Newsletter