What Can We Do With An Apple?
CONCEPT: Food Experiences
Read the story of Johnny Appleseed and then discuss the characteristics of apples...which the best of all is that they are low in PHE!
- To look at the characteristics of apples
- To increase the child's acceptance and familiarity with a low phe food--apples!
- Read The Story of Johnny Appleseed by Aliki.
- Getting to know all about apples. Pass the basket of apples around, instruct each child to pick one apple from the basket.
Discuss the characteristics of their apples, such as:
- What color are their apples? (red, green, yellow)
- What shape are the apples? (round, pear-shaped)
- What sizes are the apples? (small, medium, large)
- Which apples are heavy? Which apples are light?
- How do apples smell? (sweet, sour)
- How do apples feel? (hard, smooth, waxy)
- How do apples taste? (sour, sweet, tart, bland)
- How do apples sound when you eat them? (quiet, loud, crisp, crunchy)
- What covers apples? (peel)
- Does the peel taste different from the pulp inside?
- What are the other parts of an apple? (stem, blossom, core, seeds) Using the cutting board and knife, cut one apple in half to show the children.
- What color are apples inside? (white, pale yellow)
- Into what shapes and sizes can apples be cut? (halves, quarters, thirds, circles, cubes, shreds)
- Is the apple juicy or dry when cut?
- Why are apples good to eat? (they taste delicious, look good, feel good, give us energy, clean our teeth, are low in PHE!)
- What can we make with apples? (apple sauce, apple juice, apple cider, apple vinegar, apple butter, apple jelly, dried apples, baked apples)
- What about these: apple salad, apple cookies, applesauce cake, apple crisp, apple pudding?
- How do you like apples best?
- Distribute the activity sheets.
- Apple Maze--Help the worm find his way through all the apples!
- Apple Tree Maze--Help the apple through the tree!
- Book: The Story of Johnny Appleseed by Aliki Brandenberg. Published by Simon and Schuster Books for Young Readers, 1963. ISBN: 0-671-66746-7.
- Basket of a variety of washed apples (enough for each child to have one apple). Some suggested choices for apples to include: Rome, Jonathan, Golden Delicious, Red Delicious, Granny Smith, Fuji, Braeburn
- Cutting board and knife
- Fun with Apples activity sheets:
Apple Maze, Apple Tree Maze