Silly Bird Makes A Cake
CONCEPT: Weighing and Measuring
Learn about the importance of carefully measuring foods, especially when making a recipe. Children hear a story and practice measuring.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- correctly label tools used for weighing and measuring
- choose the right measuring tool when given a food to measure
- demonstrate the proper technique for measuring with a cup or spoon
- describe foods items as "more" or "less" using volume measurements
Read the story Silly Bird Makes a Cake.
Lead a discussion , with questions such as:
- Why is it important to measure ingredients carefully?
- Silly Bird likes to do things fast. Did he save time by making the birthday cake without following the directions?
- Why is it important that you measure foods carefully?
- Demonstrate the proper way to measure dry and liquid foods. Demonstrate with sugar and with water. Talk about the tools needed for measuring and how to measure.
- Show the children different volumes of ingredients and ask them which is "more" and which is "less".
- Make Puffied Rice Granola:
- Divide the children into groups of three for this activity. Help the children follow the recipe for the Puffed Rice Granola and measure the ingredients.
- During the food preparation, provide the children with opportunities to compare differing amounts or sizes of items as "more" or "less".
- Distribute the worksheet. Help the children to complete it, as needed. Discuss their answers.
- Silly Bird Makes a Cake story
- Measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Straight edge
- Recipe: Puffed Rice Granola
- Baggies (ziplock)
- Labels (to label baggies with phe content)
- Food items (sugar, water, any other foods needed to demonstrate measuring, recipe ingredients)
- Allow your children to measure or weigh selected items as you are making a recipe.
- Provide your children with opportunities to compare differing amounts or sizes of items as "more" or "less".