CONCEPT: General Nutrition
Read a story about Charlie Tooth and how he gets a cavity. Learn about how to have healthy teeth.
After completing this activity, children will be able to:
- state that sugary foods can lead to cavities
- identify foods that are high in sugar
- Read A Toothful Story and show the characters as they appear in the story.
- Discuss the story with the children, with questions such as:
- Who did Mr. Sweets send over to play with Charlie?
- What happened when Charlie Tooth played with Susie Sucker, Patty Pop, and Gregory Gum?
- What did Dr. Brushy and Dr. Pastey do to make Charlie feel better?
- Which new friends did Charlie meet so he could stay a happy tooth?
- What foods do you need to eat to stay happy like Charlie Tooth?
- Discuss the "Tips for Healthy Teeth" with the children. Send them home with the handout.
- Distribute the worksheets. Help the children complete it, as needed. Discuss their answers. Reinforce the foods that can cause cavities and some of the important aspects of good dental hygiene.
- Discuss with your children the foods that may contribute cavities.
- Encourage your children to have good dental hygiene, and set a good example.
*This activity is adapted from NET Nutrition Education, Choose Well, Be Well: A Curriculum Guide for the Primary Grades, California State Department of Education, 1982.